14: study buddies

"I feel like I'm gonna regret this."

--☆--☆--☆--

"Do you want breakfast?" Luke asked the youngest Gilmore who was sitting at the counter with her school notes in front of her.

"I'm wanting for Mom and Rory, we're supposed to eat together," Cassie answered as she looked up from her homework. Ever since almost taking her Shakespeare test Cassie decided that Luke's was her favorite study spot. Of course Luke found it annoying but he wasn't going to let Cassie flunk any of her classes.

"What are you working on?"

"I have a test in Chemistry next week and my teacher said I should look over my quizzes to help me study. But I hate chemistry and I suck at it, so my quizzes won't help me because I didn't get an A on any of them," Cassie said, ranting to the diner owner about her struggles. "And Rory can't help because she's great at chem and has a different teacher."

"You'll figure it out, you always do," Luke told her as he refilled her mug with coffee.

"Clearly you haven't seen me in chem," Cassie picked up her cup, taking a long sip of the comforting drink.

"You sure you don't want something to eat?" Luke asked her, knowing that Cassie wouldn't be able to focus unless she was fed.

"I'm sure. Mom and Rory should be here soon," Cassie said in a not so sure tone. Luke gave her a look causing her to sigh. "I promise Luke, I'm not even hungry yet."

"Mhm," Luke hummed, picking up the coffee pot and walking away leaving Cassie to return to her chemistry homework.

Normally when Cassie was in the diner she could focus better than she did at home. She knew she focused better because Rory wasn't there. Rory was always so focused and the fact that she was focused made Cassie distracted. Which is why it was easier for her to work in the diner.

But on this particular morning Cassie was being more distracted than she normally was and couldn't sit down for longer than two minutes. It probably had something to do with Luke trying to kick out Taylor Doose.

Taylor was following Luke while he was trying to work and two men argued over why Luke should put up holiday decorations. Now Luke was busy multitasking, getting rid of Taylor and getting Cassie ready for school. Luke had never felt like such a dad in his entire life, but he'd be lying if he said he didn't enjoy it.

Cassie had just walked out of the bathroom, now wearing her uniform, when Rory and Lorelai walked in.

"Hey sweetie," Lorelai kissed the top of her youngest daughter's head after Cassie went in for the hug. "So how's it going?"