Chapter 1: A Chance

Virgil's Narration

Once upon a time, long, long ago... well, more like 20 years ago... Belle married her Beast in front of 6,000 of their 'closest personal friends'. There was a big cake, a white wedding, you know. All that stuff society pressures us into spending money on efforts the sake of parading around your love for each other. But, yeah, whatever.

Anyways, instead of a honeymoon, Beast united all of the kingdoms and got himself elected king of the United States of Auradon. Real romantic of him. He rounded up all the villains, henchmen, basically all the really interesting people, and he booted them off to this small fricken island with a magical barrier to keep them there. That is where I grew up. No magic. No wi-fi. No way out. Or so I thought. But before I tell you more about my island and my friends, I have to tell you where our story really begins. It started with a spoiled, golden hearted Prince, who would soon become King.

Roman's POV

I took a deep breath, standing in front of the doors to my parents's throne room. "Are you sure you'll be alright dear?" Mrs. Potts, one of the servants, asked as she fussed over my outfit. I could feel my nerves showing in my brows and tense shoulders, so I knew my attempt at a reassuring smile probably wasn't fooling her for a second.

"Yeah, I'll be fine." I replied, regardless of the fact she definitely wouldn't buy it. "They'll understand... At least I hope they will." I sighed, mostly talking to myself. "He'll be fine, Madam Potts. Roman's still technically a child, but he's got a good head on his shoulders when it counts. I'm sure whatever his plans are for his first decree as King will be well thought out and reasonable." Cogsworth assured her. "Oh, alright... Let me know how it goes dear." Mrs. Potts conceded as she gave my shoulders a gentle squeeze. I nodded, taking a deep breath before stepping inside the throne room.

Just before my arrival, my parents were in the midsts of discussing something. When they heard the doors open, they quietly agreed to continue their discussion later. "Roman! It's lovely to see you, mon etoile. What brings your visit home? Do you need help with your studies or a problem at school?" My mother asked. I had notified them I'd be leaving school to visit the castle this weekend, but hadn't yet told them why. "No, something bigger than that." I began, taking in a deep breath.

"Mother, Father, I have decided what I want my first command as King to be." I informed them, trying my best to hold up my chin and seem sure of myself. "Excellent! What will it be, my son?" My father cheered. My parents both watched me with proud and loving gazes. They were meant to be encouraging, but I couldn't help but feel more pressure building up.

You got this Roman. I thought to myself. I nodded and forced out what I wanted to say. "I want to invite four children from the Isle to live here, in Auradon. To go to school and get a chance at a normal life." I announced. I had truly tried my best to sound confident, but my eyes squeezed shut as I said the words. I prepared for my father's reaction.

"What?" My father snapped, standing up from his throne. "Adam." My mother gently warned, reaching up to place a hand on his shoulders. I took a step back. My father snarled with faint glowing eyes before sitting down again. "My apologies, Roman..." He muttered, reaching a hand to rub his forehead. "Surely you must understand, however, that you are asking a lot." He added. "Hear him out, darling. I'm sure he's put a lot of thought into this." Mom advised in a soft tone before looking back at me. Her smile was gentle and her eyes were kind. She gave me a nod that eased my nerves a little.

"Could you explain your thoughts behind this idea, dear?" My mother asked me. I nodded, now feeling more genuinely confident. "Well... My brother might still be there, he was taken quite a long while ago, and I was going to use my command to send out another search for him. I know we tried before, but he's older now, it might be easier to identify him. Then I got to thinking about what life on the isle must have been like for him. What it must be like for the kids that were raised there, without knowing anything different from the Isle. Without a single chance to prove they're better than their parents. Those kids deserve a chance to have a life, a chance to decide for themselves who they want to be. It isn't fair for them to have to suffer their parent's punishment." I explained. "Life isn't fair." My father murmured.