>>>>>[ Chapter 5: "Il Maestro Demente"

Joker looked around the showroom ringed with Quackerjack's Toy Soldiers feeling a sense of pride. It all came to this – this forced sojourn to St. Canard. The stage was set, and the actors were not only in their places, but at the ready. Batman too – he could practically smell his sweat.

He'd succeeded in playing with the lights a bit so that Teddy sat lifelessly slumped over in the center of the room. He admired the purity, and innocence of the scene - Teddy's white, furry coat shimmering under a single spotlight – his position giving just a glimpse of his lightly glowing blue eyes.

Joker completed his little "gift" by draping a thick, black ribbon over Teddy's shoulder with a corresponding black bow hanging about Teddy's chest. And – as a finishing touch – a small note:

To: "Doddy" – with Love

From: Joker!

Joker stepped back – having put on the finishing touches – and started speaking to one of the Toy Soldiers. "Beautiful, isn't it? So shimmering, so warm, so murderous. What kind of mad-man turns an oversized Teddy Bear into a machine of murder and mayhem, anyways?" Joker laughed. "Oh yeah! ME!" Joker began laughing. It was a hearty, uproarious, back-slapping laugh that he shared with the Toy Soldiers in the room – slapping one of them on the back.

It fell straight over, flat, lifeless. Joker stopped laughing.

"WHERE ARE YOU?" he demanded. "Come out, come out wherever you are?"

Joker looked around, seeing nothing – hearing nothing. He held up his left arm allowing his sleeve to drop – revealing a Joker card. Listening intently he began turning very slowly in place, his eyes closed. "Alle, alle auch sind frei!"

Just then Teddy's head turned – ever so slightly – his eye color switching abruptly to amber. Joker – following Teddy's lead – spun gracefully as he flicked his wrist. The card went soaring to the corner where Teddy's gaze was fixed, and lit up brightly revealing Batman – crouched in the shadows.

Hee-HEE! Joker danced as Batman stood – his eyes narrowing into angry slits. Joker's voice turned serious, menacing – yet still a mockery of Batman's. "YOU are vengeance! You are THE NIGHT! You ..." Joker paused momentarily, then chuckled a bit before continuing in a more jovial voice. "... are a little too old to be playing with teddy-bears, aren't you?"

Teddy sprang to life, his eyes aglow in a fiery mix of orange-red. Glassy, curved black knives extended from his paws like claws, and his mouth opened slightly revealing rows of jagged, black teeth from the same material. He eyed Batman – tracking his movements unerringly as he threw back his cape.

Batman looked the ominous creature up-and-down – probing for a weakness. Its claws were tempered, black glass – as were its teeth. It moved in a way that implied it was incredibly heavy – and was probably armored under its fur. Joker couldn't have done this – it was one of Quackerjack's creations. This toy was nothing to be toyed with.

The lights in Teddy's eyes suddenly shut down – revealing eyes of the same, deep, glassy black. Empty, and soulless they stared at Batman as Teddy's lips curled into a snarl. There was a brief flash of light, and Teddy sprung into action leaping at Batman and unleashing a fury of spinning kicks, punches, and slashes that pounded at The Dark Knight like sledge hammers. He was losing ground – and quickly.

Before he realized it, Batman had been cornered. No place to fire his rapeller, and Teddy used his girth and height very effectively in blocking off Batman's escape routes. Teddy smiled his jagged smile as his eyes began flashing that fiery mix of red, and orange. He held out his left arm and spread his almost finger-like claws. An executioner's blade – three feet in length – extended slowly from the outstretched paw.