Chapter 25

"I can't breathe, I'm so weak, I know this isn't easy

Don't tell me that your love is gone

That your love is gone"

***

Grandfather Nandru looked away toward the double doors at the entryway. Abandoning the table of potions, I followed his gaze to where Christian stood.

He'd changed from his blood-soaked button-up into a black sweater and dark wash jeans-- clothes of mourning.

Grandfather Nandru stood and excused himself from the room.

Rising to my feet, I faced Christian.

"I won't apologize for it," I blurted. "I can't. I'm not sorry I saved your life and if you want to be angry and send me away because of it then fine. But I'm not sorry."

Christian broke away from the doors and reached me in a few strides. When he simply stood there with his intense blue gaze scanning my face, I reached out to touch him, one palm landing on his chest, the other against his cheek.

He tensed under my touch, and ever so subtly tilted his chin away from me.

"What I am sorry for, is that it made you suffer. That part I am sorry about." I went on, dropping my hand to my side.

"I'm not angry at you. But you died, Aimee."

"And I'd do it again. For you."

"Don't say that."

Unable to hold myself back, I threw my arms around his neck and buried my face in his chest. A hint of iron still clung to his skin under the scent of shampoo and mint. My heart swelled with relief. Relief that none of the stakes this fateful night had found his heart.

"It's the truth. I mean it with all my heart."

"Aimee," He whispered. He removed my arms from around him and placed his palms against my shoulders, pushing me away at arms-length. "I am thankful. But things have changed."

"What do you mean?"

"The bond is different. When I say you died...what I mean is that it broke something inside me. I felt the bond shatter and once it was gone I found that...I no longer felt the same way about you."

My eyes scanned his face.

His voice was calm and collected and he hadn't looked away when he said it. The way Christian could lie sometimes scared me but I knew the difference...

I narrowed my eyes, my gaze casting down to the erratic thumping of the carotid vein in his smooth throat.

After a few moments, it evened out to a normal rhythm and I wondered how much self-control it took to do that.

Years with Henric as his father must have made him really good at hiding the tell-tale signs of his lies.

"Explain what you mean," I went on. "I don't understand."

"When the bond broke, it did something to me. I feel hollow now. I feel nothing."

"You're saying you feel nothing for me?"

"I'm sorry. I know this is hard to hear but...I can't pretend. That would be unfair."

I could feel him watching me the same way I was watching him.

"I don't believe you," I said after a long pause.

He turned away from me but with one hand, I tilted his face back to look at me.