Chapter 22

I glanced over my shoulder but the wind slapped hair into my face and Christian was already gone.

My eyes filled with tears and I held on to the ropes for dear life.

The sound of Windpsear's hooves echoed the rapid beating of my heart and he moved like lightning across the grassy plain.

The horse whinnied and turned in a semicircle when we reached the top of the hill that overlooked the carnage happening below at Dannek castle.

I couldn't make anyone out from this distance but the smell of blood and fear was in the air.

From the north, a great swarm of men came barreling down the expansive stone bridge leading to the castle.

My fingers, threaded through Windspear's mane tightened and the horse gave a restless neigh.

Wherever he was, would Christian see them coming? And even if he was a skilled fighter, he couldn't win, not against those numbers.

"Fuck," I whispered.

I brought my hands up to my face as if praying. It'd been a long time since I prayed but right then and there, I felt the urge to.

"Chris," I breathed.

Would I feel his death the moment he was killed? Because surely, no vampire below would survive. Not one would be spared.

My heart thundered in my chest. I felt the urge to vomit, cry or scream.

"I'm sorry, Chris. I can't let you die."

I dug my heel into Windspear's side which sent him bolting back down the hill.

We passed the stables, empty now, and came to a skittering halt at the marble steps at the eastern end of Dannek Castle.

Where just a few moments before there'd been lights and music and cars arriving for the party, now there was death.

I jumped off the horse, my feet landing in a puddle. I looked down to find blood, warm, red, and sticky, coating my toes.

Bodies littered the steps, the marble stained crimson.

I knew the rest of the swarm of killers had found their way inside. I could tell by the way the screams intensified, rose and fell like the chords of a frantic song.

More carnage awaited me as I entered the castle. A giant ballroom, decorated for a wedding, with streamers of white and gold.

White balloons, now on the floor, dripping the blood of the wedding guests.

I passed a woman with her eyes wide open, staring up at the chandeliered ceiling, a silver stake stuck to her heart.

I clamped my hand over my mouth and made my way further in.

"Gather the men! Let's go!" Someone shouted. A man darted past the ballroom, a sword, and shield in hand.

"They're humans." Another voice shouted. "We can take them. Let's go, men. Fight!"

I went out into the hall where another vampire bumped into me.

"To the dungeons, lady." He said, swinging around to face me as he hurried away backward. "Our commander and King has ordered all women and children to the dungeons."

I nodded but knew I would not be heading to the dungeons.

His commander and King needed me.

Knowing Christian, he was now at the frontlines, fighting for his people and I knew that's where I needed to be too.