Chapter 16

I woke up to the sound of running water.

There was a blanket draped over me that hadn't been there when I'd gone to sleep and my feet had even been tucked underneath.

The gesture tugged at my heart.

How did he expect me to walk away from him when he did stuff like this?

I stretched on the couch, wiggling my toes free. Glancing out the window, I found that the sky outside was still dark but starting to lighten in the east.

Before falling asleep, I'd decided that I couldn't walk away from Christian. Despite his protests, and regardless of all the reasons why we shouldn't be together, there was one reason to keep fighting and that reason was love.

I loved this man.

In a way, I didn't entirely understand but that I knew was a once-in-a-lifetime deal.

There would never be another Chris for me out there, I was sure of it.

People who believed in soul mates were full of shit, at least that's what I'd always thought. But meeting Christian had changed things for me.

A sliver of steam escaped the bottom of the closed bathroom door.

Shifting on the couch, I made the split-second decision.

I didn't think much about it as I made my way toward the bathroom, removing every last article of clothing. My hand hovered over the handle, and without a second thought, I opened the door and slipped inside quietly

Before my boldness had a chance to fade and before he heard my thoughts, I stepped into the shower.

His back was to me, perfect rivers of water cascading over his broad shoulders.

"Aimee," He breathed. My fingertips hadn't yet touched his skin but he knew. He'd probably known the moment I stepped into the bathroom.

My fingers brushed across each of his wing scars. He tensed under my touch, his palms landing on the shower tile in front of him.

"Please," He whispered, voice strained. "You need to go,"

"You can't," I said, swallowing hard. "Get rid of me so easily. I won't let you. I love you and you love me."

"If only this was just about love, Aimee...but it's not."

"I had a dream about you making love to me. In a hotel room, just like this." I whispered. I took a step closer, my arms winding around his waist, hands clasping against his stomach, my cheek resting in the space between his wet shoulder blades.

"That was my dream," His voice shook. "I wanted to touch you one last time, even if it wasn't real. I was being selfish."

"Be selfish again," My lips made contact with his smooth shoulder blade, peppering kisses as high as I could go up the nape of his neck. Water streamed down my face, warm this time.

Christian unclasped my hands and turned around to face me.

His eyes swept back and forth over my face, his Adam's apple moving in his throat as he searched for words and found none.

I closed the space between us, mouth angling for his lips. His hands flew from my wrists to cup my cheeks, holding me there, centimeters from his mouth,

His lips were wet, slightly parted, his breath warm against my face, his chest falling and rising rapidly beneath my fingertips.

"Chris," I breathed. "Stop fighting it. We've wasted so much time..."

His lips met mine and my back collided against the cold shower wall. His hands gripped the backs of my thighs, lifting me up, my legs wrapping around his waist, arms holding onto his shoulders for dear life.