CHAPTER TWENTY

"That sting of remembrance in the back of your heart- it will come and go until you learn to differentiate between closure and disguised denial."

Is it considered moving on, if Alex has thought of her fathers death every single passing day for the last couple of months? Gut wrenching guilt had settled in her bones the night her father died and it had not dissipated, maybe only grew larger

But she has somehow came to terms with the fact that her fathers death was her fault, practically her own doing. She had somehow become okay with the fact actually. Despite what Bruce told her day in and day out that it wasn't her fault, she just lied to his face and agreed then quickly changed conversation topics. She couldn't help but be stubborn and unforgiving to herself.

She somehow got by.

It's been months since Arthur Fleck went underground. It made Alex mad to no god damn end. Was killing her father all he had wanted? She assumed he would come for her next. But no letters, no random killings, no joker cards left at any street corners.

"Are you sure you want to go? It might be a bit boring." Bruce calls from his bedroom, now their shared bedroom. He tied his tie under the collar of his button up, struggling but slowly getting there. 

Alex faced the bathroom mirror, her eyes narrowed at her reflection. Her dress was a reasonable length, with quarter length sleeves. She replaced her regular studs in her lobes with dangly ones, her wavy hair was half up.

"I want to go Bruce. And I don't think it'll be boring." She rips her gaze from the mirror and walks into the bedroom, seeing him playing with his tie. She sighs and approaches him, taking it from his clumsy fingers and ties it properly for him. "I want to be there to support you." Alex replies quietly. "From a distance." She then adds.

There hasn't been any publicity about the two, thankfully. Alex has been living here for the last little while, eventually bringing over her belongings, staying in the guest room, which eventually turned back into a guest room when she began sleeping in Bruce's bed every night with him. They had to tread lightly though.

Today was the ceremony regarding the reopening of the Orphanage on the Wayne Estate. Turns out having money can get things running fairly quickly. The building, still standing, was redone and refurbished. Talk had gotten around, thanks to speeches from Mayor Reál. A lot of scrutiny came with that, but that's just how the world worked. That's how Gotham worked; nothing was ever good or right, even when it was supposed to be.

...

The building had a good group of people gathered, but nothing excessive thankfully. Seems not every citizen of Gotham cared about the reopening of the Orphanage. Of course it hadn't gone well the first round. But they hoped for some difference. Bruce hoped to god for a massive difference. He had be nervous ever since he agreed to the reopening to begin with, anxiety about everything falling apart like it previously had.