CHAPTER FOUR

Tw: Domestic violence

...

"I am so much more than you told me I was."

Just as Alex finished rinsing the soap from her face, a harsh knock at her door was heard

Just as Alex finished rinsing the soap from her face, a harsh knock at her door was heard. She hurriedly grabs a towel and wipes the water off her cheeks, tossing it onto the counter bathroom countertop.

When she looks out the peephole of her apartment door, she sees James standing there. The James that she sometimes has sex with. He looks a little high, which made her feel uneasy. Also a tinge of annoyance, him just showing up unannounced. She groans and unlocks the door, opening it an inch. "Listen James, not tonight." She begins, staring into his bloodshot eyes. There's nothing behind them, they're a void. He smirks at her, it's sinister, and makes her extremely uncomfortable.

James pushed open the door unexpectedly, stepping inside and nudging her out of the way. He's quick to the close the door after himself and locking it. "James, please just leave, this isn't funny." She grumbled angrily, crossing her arms over her chest.

He grabs her shoulders and leans down, pressing his lips onto her own. He's sloppy and incredibly high, maybe a bit drunk too. The taste of marijuana smoke coats his mouth, and a hint of whiskey. She undoes her arms, pressing her hands to his chest and pushes him away. "I'm fucking serious." She was trying so hard to sound tough, but he could see through the act.

When it comes to personal relationships in her life, Alex was a scared and insecure girl. She was waiting for some breakthrough in that department. Her self esteem was dangerously low, and she was all too aware of it. When she got in her car to go to work, she was a different kind of human though, and she constantly tore herself apart because of it. Why couldn't she be stoic all the time? She tried so hard, and never was able to come through to the other side, satisfied.

"Oh, you're fucking serious, hm?" James was a grade A mother fucker. He smoked and drank a bit too much and he absolutely had no respect for Alex as a person, but loved using her for her body. He didn't know the first thing about her besides her first name. He made himself seem decent the first few times they met up, by going out on some casual dates, ultimately resulting in them tumbling into bed together. He liked that she gave it up easily to him, so he took it and ran with it. He was strategic almost, because he made her feel loved and cared for, but when he got what he wanted he started becoming messy.

Lately, he was beginning to show his true colors to her. They wouldn't even go out anymore, just have sex. Then he'd leave in the morning before she'd wake, or when she got up for work, he would pretend to still be asleep then skip out when she was gone. She was catching on, unknowing to him. The last time when she kicked him out, he was more than pissed off. This was new of her, and he worried she finally realized his true intentions.