Indifference [Grian+Doc]

The world eater was running. Rows of TNT exploded over the terrain, decimating blocks. Grian swooped next to Doc on his elytra, keeping the machine loaded and running. The synthetic wings bounced lightly on the wind, causing Grian to tighten one of the straps on the side. They steadied out, although he had drifted downwards. He fired another rocket to catch up with the German creeper hybrid.

 The massive flying machine stopped at the opposite end, the explosions following suit. Doc flew over the redstone, making sure nothing had broken as Grian checked the ground for anything that could destroy the machine. Near the end, he spotted the remains of a village among the charred blocks.

 "What did you find there, Grian?" Doc asked, the metallic sound of his voice cutting through the solemn silence.

 "A village," he responded. "It's been destroyed by the world eater."

 "And?" Doc followed, impatiently.

 "Doc, were there villagers here? Did you move them?"

 "I got some out, but they could have stayed behind. Why do you care so much?"

 "I-I-" Grian stuttered. "These were lives, Doc. How can you be so indifferent?"

 Doc turned on the smaller hermit, moving closer until his chest bumped into him. "Because indifference is the way of the Watchers, young one," Doc growled.

 "No, it can't be. You can't have found me already." Grian backed up, running into the ruins of a house.

 "We have always known where you were, child," the creeper hissed back. "You could never escape us. You just made yourself difficult to retrieve." His mechanical flashed red before going back to purple. Grian cursed at himself. How did he not notice? Other parts of Doc's mechanisms flickered, glowing purple before going back to their traditional red. All of them became purple.

 Grian could feel himself hyperventilating. "Doc, this isn't you. You're not doing this. Snap out of it, Doc!" The creeper responded with a chilling laugh, reaching for Grian. The builder tried to swat him away, but the long fingers fastened around his throat, lifting him from the ground.

 "Please, stop," Grian gasped, peeling away Doc's fingers. The hold on his neck grew tighter as Grian struggled, the airflow to his lungs restricting. The red-sweatered hermit drew his sword in a desperate attempt to attack the possessed creeper, but his fingers were weak and slippery. The diamond sword thudded onto the blackened grass as black crept around the edges of his vision.

 Rockets fired in the distance. Doc frowned as he tightened his hold on the builder's neck, Grian finally going limp. A weapon rasped as it was drawn behind him. He dropped his victim in the grass and pivoted to intercept Iskall's downward sweeping sword. The trident flashed dangerously as Doc stabbed it into the ground, summoning a lightning storm. Rain pelted the warriors as it fell from the sky in droves.

 Iskall quickly outclassed Doc in the fight, disarming the player, knocking him down, and shoving the tip of his sword under Doc's chin. His eye scanned the prone figure before him, finally recognizing that Doc wasn't right. His mechanical eye flashed as he searched for solutions. The tip of his weapon pressed into the skin of Doc's throat, causing green blood to dribble out. The acidic liquid hissed as it landed on the grass, small plumes of smoke rising from it.

 Doc growled, "I will not be beaten this easily, Iskall85." He called the trident back to his hand, stabbing upwards. Iskall barely blocked the vicious strike, twisting out of the way and countering. The creeper's element of partial surprise caught him off guard, allowing him to slice open Iskall's forearm. Iskall bit back an exclamation of pain, building up momentum and dealing four blows upon Doc. At half a heart, the creeper thrust his trident forward, catching the same arm as earlier.