3

"This is what is best to take?" I cautiously viewed the black sports car of which Alexander had just opened the passenger's seat door for me. Even after a paracetamol and a cold shower, and change into a fitted sundress and remembering to grab my sunglasses to shade from the sun, my hangover still prevailed.

"It'll shock the hungover right out of your system," he watched me near him, giving barely any space between us for me to get in the vehicle, "careful." His hand placed itself on my lower back possessively, by no means just brushing against it. He breathed in deeply, shocking me further. "What is that perfume?"

"Alexander, I don't think this is appropriate.." I managed out in a high-pitched squeak, quickly moving past him and down onto the passenger's seat while trying to remember to breathe. I quickly came to realise this was a mistake when I found myself on eye-level with the bulge in his khakis. I cursed at myself in my head, not able to get a grip on myself with him.

Without another word, he crouched down to be able to take a hold of the seatbelt. "Let me".

"No," I immediately shook my head, avoiding his sinful gaze for the life of me. He chuckled lowly and obliged, closing the door and then rounding the car to the driver's side. I could already tell this trip to the town from their country estate was a mistake, but I also felt increasingly more wound up and knew I needed some kind of relief.

My previous relationship had ended over two years ago, and since then I had been too enveloped in my work to even consider going on a date. On some level I didn't want to give in to my mother, who would take such joy in me finding a man, but this turned out to be the worst situation to be in with Alexander. The sexual-fantasy-of-a-man that was now seated next to me, in the car that left little space between us to begin with, made me feel all the more claustrophobic and hot.

"Isn't it customary for the best man and the maid of honour to have a little rendezvous?" he broke the silence after the car had sped off on the gravelly roundabout and around the excessive fountain the family had placed at the front of the estate. I leaned my head back and let the smooth motion and engine calm me, my sunglasses protecting from the rays of sun that managed to make their way inside the car.

"That sounds very American, I'm not into it."

He chuckled, and I held back the urge to look over at him driving, knowing it would just wind me up more and make this drive utterly unbearable from my wilding hormones. I had never experienced this sort of a pull to anybody, not even in previous relationships, although there were only two. It scared me how this was only my second day here, and I was already feeling these things. How would I survive until the wedding?

"The other guests should arrive soon enough, you'll have your pick of them," I added, "I don't do casual."

"I didn't think you did, angel."

"Don't call me that," I breathed out, closing my eyes and trying to remain calm.

"It suits you." His gruff voice made my nerves light up again, and I hated that this had turned into such a tension-filled stay. Whatever he was after, he would have to get it from someone else.

"Have you ever slept with a fan?" He spoke casually, and I wanted to slap him at the crude insinuation.

"I don't have fans," I muttered, "what are you after?"

"I'm a fan," he ignored my prodding question, still infuriatingly casual, "I've read all of your pieces. I love how intelligent you are, taking down corrupt institutions and whatnot."

"Is that why you're trying to get into my pants?" I huffed, turning to him and slipping my glasses off to be able to send him daggers, "you like my work?"