The Right Kind of Wrong (19)

Chapter Nineteen

Rose halted and turned around, her hands on her hips.

"It is still the principle of the matter. Oh and that is right, I'm not related to Sirius...You are. And sure, Al was wrong to come down here without evidence. And if it had been you, it would have been best for him to let it go. Just because I am aware of how people treat us doesn't mean I enjoy it. They don't treat us for us. You, however, get treated the way you do because of what you do. Small hexes or not, you still injure people. Goyle is bleeding and Lily was unconscious, things are even as far as I'm concerned now." Rose said, and with that her and Al had vanished

She knew this was far from over; they would pull another dirty move. If that is how it would be, then so be it. The pair walked in silence as they made their way to the Great Hall. The incident that had happened in the dungeons weighed heavily on Rose. To think that just yesterday she had been in his arms and then today practically screaming in his face made her stomach turn. This wasn't going to work out, they were just too different. Rose couldn't be with someone who hated her family so intensely. In truth, Rose didn't really mind the Malfoys that much, having heard from mainly her uncle, how Scorpius' father had changed and that his mother was a pleasant woman according to her own mother. The side of Scorpius she saw today scared her really. She didn't expect Scorpius, calm and cool, to have such a venomous temper. Whatever had happened between them over the past few days was gone for her. Her initial motive was to warn Scorpius of Al, but when she saw Scorpius retaliating and then spewing insults about her family, which in turn included her as she was a Weasley, made her turn away from him. This Scorpius was not the person she wanted.

Rose and Al sat down, earning a few stares from her fellows. She stared down at her plate, not particularly hungry when Professor Longbottom approached Gryffindor Table. He cleared his throat and looked down at the two.

"It was come to my attention that there was a mishap in the dungeons not too long ago? Perhaps we should discuss this in my office." He said, leading the way.

Rose and Al exchanged looks and shook their heads at their cousins before following Professor Longbottom out. Sure enough it still wasn't over.

* * * * *

After fifteen minutes of waiting, Lestrange entered Professor Slughorn's office.

Scorpius, Damon and Zabini turned to look at him, expecting to see Albus Potter. But he was alone. Slughorn looked behind him as well.

"M'boy," said the Professor, rather confused. "Where's Longbottom and Albus Potter?"

"Longb -- Professor Longbottom said that they'll wait in his office," answered Lestrange, shrugging.

Slughorn sighed. "I specifically said in my office, boy. Very well, Zabini," he added, looking at Zabini sitting quietly on a corner, "it's better if you tell him to come. We'll wait."

Zabini stood up and left, as Lestrange scowled as he sat. Slughorn turned to Scorpius.

"Well, then, m'dear boy," he said cheerfully. "Let's talk about pleasant things while waiting. Quidditch, perhaps? How's your training coming? I know I can talk to Gwenog Jones into making you play for England. She still sends me ticket to the World Cup every year. But for an old lad like myself, it's difficult to travel nowadays."

"Actually, sir," said Scorpius, determined. "I plan on playing for England for a couple of years. But I plan on becoming an Auror as well."

Damon and Lestrange instantly stared at him, waiting to see if the Auror thingy is just a joke. But there wasn't a punch line.

Slughorn looked impressively at Scorpius.

"I think I can pull some strings and help you a little on your dream, m'dear Scorpius," said Slughorn, grinning meaningfully.

Scorpius just smiled. But the truth is, he doesn't need any help. He can make it on his own. He was sure of it. However, that's the future. An absolute future. He has to think about the present for now.

* * * * *

Professor Longbottom received the word that the meeting would be instead in Slughorn's office. The trio made their way down to the dungeons, the scene of the crime so to speak, and entered the office. Albus glared at the Slytherins as they walked past them. Rose kept an unusual and calm expression across her face considering what had just happened and what was to unfold. If Scorpius wanted to see what milking her family's fame really looked like then he would get it. Regardless of what happened, Slughorn was a sucker for the famous. Scorpius could act all charming as much as he wanted, Rose could turn up her charm as well, to a sickening level as a matter of fact.

Rose plopped herself into a seat and crossed her arms, staring at the wall ahead of her as she waited for the proceedings to begin. Neville stood opposite of the two groups and shifted uncomfortably.

"Well, what seems to be the problem?"

* * * * *

Scorpius didn't expect Rose to come along. He clearly remembered that he didn't mention any name other than Albus Potter. So how come she was there?

Before Scorpius could think about the relationship between him and Rose, he shifted his gaze to Longbottom -- he didn't want to look at Albus Potter's pathetic face. The professor looked.... geeky as usual, shifting uncomfortably as he stood.

"Longbottom, I am gravely disappointed," said Slughorn gloomily, as he stood up. "Never did I expect that Albus can do such a thing. A boy was sent to the Hospital Wing because of a bleeding ear. I really hate to think that it was our young man Potter that did all of that -- ambushed my House's Quidditch Team. So I asked you, Longbottom, to come to my office in order for us to clear this matter."

Scorpius caught Damon's eye, he looked at Rose and Albus Potter, then back at Damon. Scorpius glanced at Slughorn and back at Damon again. They unnoticeably nodded to each other. All of a sudden, Damon courteously raised his hand slightly as though to ask a question. Slughorn turned to him.

"Yes, Damon, m'boy?" he asked.

"Forgive me for the interruption, sir," said Damon, expressionless. "But I distinctly remembered you asking for Professor Longbottom and the Potters' company. I'm just wondering why only Albus Potter is here? Also, sir, why is Rose Weasley here? Scorpius didn't specify which cousin helped that Potter. It's all just very suspicious, professor."

"Yes, yes," agreed Slughorn, turning his eyes on Albus Potter and Rose Weasley. "It is suspicious. I'm aware of Lily's situation. But where is James?" he asked Longbottom. "And how come Ms. Weasley is here? I'm sorry, m'dear," he added to Rose, smiling sadly. "You're well aware how much I admire your talent in academics but this matter concerns the Potters. I hate to think you're involved in this, too! Oh, what a disappointment would that be!" He cried. "Not very good for a girl like you to have that kind of reputation. Trust me, m'dear." He looked to Longbottom. "Now, Longbottom, where is James Potter? We need him in order to settle this matter. Send for him. We won't start unless he's here. And...." Slughorn studied the faces of the Scorpius, Damon, Zabini and Lestrange for a long moment. "...Ah! Scorpius, kindly take Ms. Weasley to the Great Hall. She looks as though she needs some drink. Come back shortly, m'boy. We have matters to discuss."

The smirk on Scorpius' face instantly vanished. He wasn't ready to be alone with Rose yet. It's still too early after their serious fight. Scorpius's exterior looked indifferent -- calm, even -- with a little hint of boredom. Inside, he was debating whether to apologize or just ignore Rose. But he need not to decide. Because knowing Rose, she won't back down without an argument. Then again, it's a teacher's order. He knows only too well, how she respects a teacher. So will she argue to stay or will she follow an order and go?

* * * * *

"Professor Longbottom saw Al and I enter together, one can put two and two together. Yes, Professor, regrettably I was present when the confrontation took place in the dungeons, however I didn't commit an act of violence or thievery. I was merely a witness. James wasn't anywhere near the dungeons when the incident occurred, so why send for someone who wasn't involved? With all due respect sir, it would be a waste of time. While Scorpius and Damon have each other to back one another up, Al doesn't have anyone but me." Rose said respectfully.

She looked over at Al who smiled gratefully before turning back to the two professors. Al decided it was his time to speak up and come clean about the entire matter.

"It was I who ambushed them, Professor, but it was not because they were the Quidditch team. You see, my little sister had been cursed and unconscious for hours last night and the attacker did not show himself. And well, I jumped to conclusions because just a day before they had gone after Rose during a friendly Quidditch match and they didn't even receive punishment even when that hit was deliberate and when the Gryffindor team had registered for the pitch that day weeks in advance. I jumped to conclusions I guess as there really is no evidence against them for cursing Lily. It was a terrible mistake, sir. Rose came down after I had ambushed them and when I had been disarmed. She tried to negotiate to avoid any more trouble, yet it only resulted in a family heirloom to be stolen from us. They tried to pull it off as Rose repaying her debt to Scorpius for saving her the other day, only it does not belong solely to Rose which is how the debt must be paid. We asked for it back, but they refused which started a verbal argument. No other spells were cast after the ambush and Rose was just trying to help." Al said, taking a breath when he was done.

He was owning up to what he had done and would accept his punishment without question. Rose kept her eyes on her feet the whole time, her finger tapping on the arm rest of her chair. Neville looked between the two and cleared his throat.

"Is that true, Rose? Considering you did witness the event."

Rose looked up and nodded. "It is true sir. You could give me Veratiserum and it would all be the same."

Neville nodded and turned back to Slughorn and shrugged. "Good enough for me. You know as well as I, Horace, that Rose is trustworthy and if she insists on the use of the truth potion, then it must be. From where I am standing both sides are at fault. Al for the use of violence and these boys for stealing property, which should be returned mind you."

* * * * *

Huh. She argued to stay, thought Scorpius.

"You have a point, m'dear," nodded Slughorn to Rose. "Very well, we shall start. Albus, m'boy, what say you?" he added to Albus Potter.

Scorpius thought of Albus Potter as dim-witted. He cannot believe how that can be such an overstatement. Why would he tell a teacher a private deal? That matter doesn't concern a teacher. Is he so desperate to get it that he's willing to degrade himself by losing his pride? Doesn't he have any pride at all? Albus Potter shows cowardice and incapability to handle a matter on his own. He must feel the need to tell a teacher because he believes that he has no chance of getting the stupid old cloak on his own.

"Well, I'm rather glad that Scorpius and Damon were rational enough not to retaliate with the same violence as you have shown them, Albus," Slughorn said. "I am gravely disappointed in you, m'boy. But it also shows a true man in you to accept your mistakes. That matter is settled, then. Longbottom," he added as he looked at Longbottom, "prepare a rightful punishment for our Albus here. Now, what's all this talk about stealing?" he asked, suddenly frowning. But curious all the same. "What heirloom, m'boy?"

Before Albus can answer, Scorpius raised his hand.

"If I may say something, Professor," said Scorpius, gently interrupting. His eyes settled on Longbottom. Then, he raised an eyebrow. "Professor Longbottom, in a matter of fact, Rose Weasley did not fully witness the event. She arrived to Potter's aid and Potter immediately told her that we stole their family heirloom."

It's time to put the Plan B into action, then, thought Scorpius.

"I cannot blame her if she quickly believed her cousin," continued Scorpius, shrugging. "Family comes first, after all." As he said the last word, his eyes wandered to Rose's. Letting her know in that simple eye contact that he was sorry. Really sorry. He had never meant that word in his entire life, not until now. However, what has to be done, has to be done.

Out of the blue, there was a noise of a breaking china.

"Oh, sorry about that," said Zabini, looking sheepish.

Everybody turned in startle. Scorpius and Damon took those two seconds that everybody wasn't looking to cast spells on each other.

Obliviate!

Scorpius mastered casting spells non-verbally since he was in his third year. He taught Damon how to do it just last summer.

It was swift and undetected. Just like what Scorpius wanted. He turned to the broken flask, pointed his wand, and said, "Reparo!" While Damon summoned the mop using the summoning charm to wipe the water clean on the floor.

"As I was saying," resumed Scorpius, looking back to the professors, "Rose Weasley's words are not completely accurate. I'm not claiming that she is a liar. I am merely stating that though she believes that we took something from Potter, that doesn't justify that we were the actual ones who took it. We may be a bit troublemakers in some ways, but we're certainly not thieves -- nor are we irrational." When he said the word 'irrational' he glanced at Albus Potter. Then, Scorpius turned to Longbottom, looking a bit hurt. "With all due respect, Professor, accusing us without any proof is not just at all. Holding us accountable of stealing property based on a plain word is unreasonable and unacceptable. It's not very objective of you, professor, to accuse us easily, is it?"

"The boy has a point, Longbottom," said Slughorn, putting his hands together on his round belly. "I trust Rose's word, of course. But I surely cannot just conclude that it was Scorpius and his friends that stole Albus' family heirloom. Which brings me back to my point earlier -- What family heirloom, m'boy?" he added to Albus Potter.

Because of the memory charm, Scorpius and Damon quite believe that it wasn't them who stole something from Potter. They erased everything that concerns the cloak in their mind since this morning. The only thing that can bring those memories back is torture. And they all know that it's illegal. No righteous person would attempt to do that to fifteen-year-olds.

Scorpius knows that there's always a chance that Potter would be too desperate enough to tell a teacher a private deal. Turns out, he was right. Good thing Scorpius is always ahead in planning.

End of Chapter Nineteen

________________________________________________________

Hahaha!! Isn't Scorpius so brilliant and cunning? XD

Please Comment and Vote! ^_^