Chapter 7

For some reason my phone decided to autocorrect vampire into campfire. "Do we simply tell them he's a campfire?" Is a gem I cut out.
____________________________________

Riven

"I know where we can go." Luke stated suddenly. "There's a pack. West of here. The rogues of the north crowned a rogue alpha. The pack should be large enough to be safe, and rogues aren't as strict on rules- especially racial rules as most packs are." You've got to be kidding me.
"If you forgot- I'm a vampire. As in werewolves mortal enemies. And according to most, her species doesn't even exist." I said, pointing to Eva.
   "Well I don't suggest you have a better idea?" No. I didn't, and he knew it.
   "And what exactly would we say? 'Hello, we're a vampire a werewolf and an elf who just happen to be mates and we want to hide from weird people who have followed us across half the country for unknown reasons?'"
   "Yeah, why not?" Luke answered with equal sarcasm dripping from his voice. Eva broke up our argument with:
   "Luke is right. It's the safest option, but so is Riven,  we need to figure out what we'll tell them." I sighed, but nodded. If you had at any point in my life asked me what my plans for the future were, the answer would have never been 'hiding from unknown threats among rogue werewolves.'
   "I can easily pretend to be a human witch. The least confusing thing to tell them would probably be something along the lines of three friends traveling together. The only issue is Riven. Do we simply tell them he's a vampire?" Eva asked.
"It's probably best that way." Luke stated. "Too problematic to hide his eyes and fangs, not to mention the bloodsucking part." I hated to agree, but he was right.
"And what would be our reason for going there?" I asked.
"Traveling." Luke shrugged.
"Good. We leave in an hour. We want any traces of us to be gone by the time they get here. You guys eat up, I'll just be a bit upstream." I said, standing up.

I headed a few hundred meters north and sat down in a little meadow, looking at the Emeries growing in the middle. Emeries were beautiful red flowers that only grew over carcasses, taking nutrients from decaying bodies to grow.
"Hey Lil. I'm back. I've grown a lot. I still haven't built you an estate by the river, but I will. I just... need to take care of some things first. I'm sorry I haven't visited in a while, but I can tell you I met my mate. You two are opposites, but sometimes she reminds me of you. You'd be happy if you saw how pretty your grave has become. It's befitting of a little vampire duchess." I smiled to myself. "...I'm going to be leaving again, but I'll be back before you know the word of it to give you the estate I promised you. You'll see Lillian, you'll have the most beautiful home you can imagine. I have to go, but remember your big brother will always love you." I stood up, picking an Emerie as I left.

As I returned I wordlessly placed it in Evas hair, gaining a bright smile from her, while Luke studied it with knowing eyes.
"Whose grave is here?" He asked as Eva walked away.
"My sister." I knew Lillian would have grown up to be the most beautiful lady in the vampire court if she had been allowed to live that long. She would have played high society like a game and bent it to her will. Luke patted me on my shoulder.
"I'm Sorry. I'm sure she's glad you're visiting her." I smiled, not saying anything.
"So, how long will it take us to get there?" Eva asked.
"Around two and a half days... unless?" Luke looked at me with a cocky grin. "Think you can keep up batboy?" I rolled my eyes. "I could ask you the same thing."
"Umm... hello, guys? I can't run much faster than a human, and flying there would be perceived as more than a little odd." Eva stated.
"I'll carry you." Both I and Luke said at the same time. "I'm bigger." Luke stated. "So?"
"Also you'll be essentially blind the entire time." That... might be an issue. I sighed, giving up while questioning how I was going to avoid trees on the way.
"Okay, well, you just follow Luke to avoid trees, and I'll be holding on for dear life." Eva stated.

After a few minutes Eva had made a strap around Lukes front legs and tied it to her waist for security and we were off. I had to admit Luke was pretty fast- for a wolf, but I had no issues keeping up behind him, following the blurry light gold of Evas hair, somehow avoiding any trees in my path. After a few hours of running, I could feel the faint smell of dog, slowly growing stronger.

"I hear them." I heard Eva mumble soon, and then moments later:
"LEFT!" She shouted as a large white figure came from our right, Luke narrowly avoiding collision with it. I heard low growling from them both, but couldn't make out much.
I heard the rustling of Eva getting off Lukes back. After a moment I felt her warmth next to me, something shiny in her hand. The hunting knife, she was preparing to protect me from this ginormous white wolf. I placed my hand on Evas shoulder, not sure what to expect next.