Ch. 1 - The Adoption

It was Friday morning. As always I wanted to go back to sleep but I couldn't. Today I had to adopt a child. I didn't know if I was even ready for a child, but my mother technically ordered me to. Because of me being her only child, she expected so much from me. She wanted grand kids but I couldn't give that to her because I was single. I'm only twenty and she wants me to have a kid already. She's just desperate I guess. I couldn't disappoint my mother so of course I said it was alright.

I sighed and got out of bed. As usual, I was going to be late. I had a bit of a long night last night. I was at a party and got a tad drunk. My head was pounding by the way. I went into my bathroom and started to take a shower. Washing my jet black hair and my entire body. I switched off the shower tab and exited the shower. I rubbed a towel through my wet hair and wrapped it around my waist. I went back into my room and started to get dressed.

With me wearing a black flannel and chinos, I started to get out my shoes. I put on my black converse and added my glasses with my outfit. I quickly grabbed my phone and car keys and left my house. I was extremely late for my appointment for the adoption.

Passing corner by corner, streetlight by streetlight, I finally had made it to the orphanage. I parked my car up front and turned off the ignition. I escaped the vehicle and went up the five steps that lead to the entrance of the orphanage. I opened the door and went to the front desk. No one had seemed to be there. The walls of the building looked like they were covered in mold. The front desk looked like it would collapse if there was any extra pressure added onto it. The floor's wood looked as if it was infested with termites. Due to the missing pieces. I noticed an old bell and tapped it, hoping to see someone. Suddenly, a girl in a tan sweater turtle neck and skinny jeans appeared in the back doorway.

"Oh. You're here! We're all ready for you. The children are all playing in the room. Follow me." She stepped to the side of the door frame and encouraged me to walk passed her into the next room. I shyly walked inside to see about fifteen kids playing with toys, watching an old TV set, reading books or just playing paddy cake. I smiled at the sight of how happy they all were.

"Go ahead. Talk to them. They won't bite. I promise." The girl reassured me. I nodded to her and walked further inside. They were all so tiny compared to my tall appearance. I decided to sit down with some of the little boys that were playing with trucks and action figures.

"Hi. I'm Zayn." I said. They all waved to me and continued playing. "I see you boys like to play with trucks huh?"

"Ya. Day fun." A little boy replied.

"I can see that. What's your name?" I asked him.

"Max."

"Nice to meet you Max. I'm Zayn." I added and we shook hands. I looked behind me and saw a little girl alone in the corner. She was just starring at everyone. Almost scared or sad.

"I'm gonna go over there ok Max?" I asked the little boy that continued to play with a truck and action figure.

"Otay." I stood up and went over to the little girl.

"Hi." I said to the little girl as I crouched down in front of her. She didn't respond. "I'm Zayn." I said while holding my hand out. She didn't except the hand shake. Then I heard small footsteps. Running. I looked to my side to see a little boy running towards us. They looked to be siblings.

"No. Don't take her." He said standing in front of the small girl courageously.

"I was only saying hi." I replied to the protective little boy.

"I don't care. Don't take my thither." I looked at the both of them and they seemed to be twins. My bottom lip dropped. He knew what people did here. Both probably knew.