eleven

The pair decided to go to Kit's house, they wanted a change of scenery, and they had been over at Grace's once before.

"Why is your room so dark, Jesus," Grace laughed when she walked in. She moved to the window to pull apart the curtains and said, "Get some light in here."

"I like it dark, it's calming." Kit smiled at her and made his way over to his nightstand picking up a pack of Marlboro cigarettes and taking one out of the pack, "Do you mind?"

Grace sighed, "Do you really have to?"

"It's calming. I won't if you don't want me to."

"No, it's fine, go ahead."

Kit opened up the window so the smoke would blow out that way, instead of in Grace's way.

"I want to tell you what happened." Grace said and sat down on his bed.

Kit let out a puff of smoke, "Grace, just because I did, doesn't mean you have to."

She shook her head sharply, "No, no I'm not. I think it's best I tell you... A while ago, my ex-boyfriend Kyle and I were driving somewhere, and it was winter, so naturally the roads will be horrible but it didn't seem like it. The roads had black ice on it. Kyle didn't see it, we were going too fast," Grace tried to hold back a sob. "We crashed,  I should have been the one who died but it was him." By this time she was sobbing.

Kit threw his cigarette out of his window and shut the screen,  he got up and pulled her up with him wrapping his arms tightly around the her small frame, "Grace, don't say that."

She wiped her eyes and pulled back from Kit, "I have to go; I-I-I can't stay I need-"

"Stay. Grace you're okay, alright? I got you."

She didn't protest further, just buried her head into the small crook where his neck met his shoulder. "Look, I-I'm sorry, I thought I-I'd be okay talking about this. I-It's been long enough, I should be fine," she mumbled, her shaky breaths throwing off her phrasing.

"It's fine, it's normal to break down sometimes... No matter how long it's been." Kit rubbed her back a bit.

Grace was silent for a few moments, catching her breath. An unsteady sigh split the air as she pulled apart from him. She kept him at arm's length, though, there if she needed him. "I'm okay," she decided. "I'm fine. Good."

Kit furrowed his eyebrows, "Are you sure?"

"I'm sure," she nodded. Grace traced her hand down Kit's arm, stopping at his hand. She twined their fingers together. They'd done this before but somehow this time felt different. Before, they hadn't known about the baggage. Now they were entirely open books to each other. All of the secrets were out, the bad ones and the good, and although Grace was sure there was more to discover about the mysterious boy - this was enough for now. This was perfect.

She looked up at him through her fading mascara and suddenly, she just knew. Kit leaned forward slightly to capture her lips in his and she couldn't help but smile into the contact. He pulled back a bit to make sure that it was okay with her, but Grace just pulled him back tighter.

THE END

of the first book!

yes thats right, J and I have decided to make this a short first book leading into our series! I hope you're all excited as we are!

Thanks for this incredible journey of Parallel!

We are going to start on our 2nd book shortly!

Thanks! E&J.