Chapter Ten

Rayne POV:

I just stared at the phone for a moment before picking it up.

"Hello?" I answered, timidly. "Hi, baby." Roark said in a sickeningly sweet voice. "Why do you keep harrassin' me? What have I done to deserve this?" I asked. "You haven't done anything wrong, Rayne. I just want to be with you, like I always have for the last four years. Please, just give me a chance." He begged. "I'm sorry, but I just don't feel the same. You're scarin' me." I said as tears began to fall. 

"You don't need to be afraid, Rayne. I'd never hurt you." Roark told me. "You killed my best friend." I replied.

The more we talked, the more upset I got.

I looked over to Detective Long to see how much time we had left to get the trace.

"Twenty seconds." He whispered.

"Is this bein' traced, Rayne? You know I don't appreciate that, baby." Roark told me, his voice getting dark. "No, it's not bein' traced." I replied. "You do realize I heard someone on the other end, yes?" He asked.

I began to panic as his voice just began to rise and get darker and darker.

"I'll see you real soon, little girl. You have my word on that." Roark said before hanging up.

"Please, tell me you got it." I begged the detective.

He nodded in relief.

"I got it. I'm goin' to get units to the location." He told me before walking out to make a phone call.

Andy POV:

As my partner and I pulled up to the old house that we tracked Roark's signal to, I furrowed my eyebrows.

"This place looks abandoned." I told Brady. 

While we checked the outside of the house, the officers we had called for backup checked inside.

"Detectives, he's gone." One officer said.

"But we found this." His partner told me, as he handed me a piece of paper.

Sorry I couldn't be here for our meeting, detective. Maybe next time. 

I crumpled the paper into a ball and threw it to the ground. 

"Fuck!" I yelled and stormed back to my car to call Rayne.

"Hello."

"Rayne, I'm sorry." I said, quietly. "He's gone." She said. "Yeah. I'm so sorry. He knew we were trackin' him." I replied. "He's a smart man, Detective Long. I knew he wouldn't be there. He knew better." She replied.

After the phone call, I headed back to the Berry home and just sat across the road, watching her house for any sign of Roark.

A few hours later, it was late in the evening, and I still sat in the same spot, when I saw the front door open.

I sat straight up and saw that it was Rayne walking toward my car.

"You ain't very subtle, you know that? You'd make a terrible stalker." She joked. 

I laughed lightly as I looked at her.

I never noticed how dark her eyes were. They were cerulean blue with a light green ring around her pupils. 

"Why don't you come in, detective? I have dinner on the table." Rayne said.

"You came outside." I told her. "What?" She asked. "You walked outside and all the way across the street. Oz said you've only been out of the house a hand full of times." I replied. 

She just shrugged and looked down.

"I have to conquer my fear eventually. Especially now. I can't keep bein' afraid of him, even if he's out to get me." She said.

I took a deep breath before I said anything.

"Dinner sounds great, Ms. Berry. Thank you." I said before getting out of the car and stretching.

My back and knees were killing me from sitting in my car for so long. 

I could use some good food and some rest. I decided to continue the next day with a fresh pair of eyes.