Chapter One

It was early in the morning in Adventure Bay. Chase was barely waking up. As usual, he was the first one to be awake. Chase stretched and looked around his room. His police hat was hanging on the wall next to a photo of him, Marshall, and Ryder. Ryder was laid on the ground, smiling at the camera. Marshall and Chase sat on either side of the boy.

Chase smiled at the photo. The picture was taken soon after the Paw Patrol was founded. Chase remembered the beginning of that adventure. He still regretted and felt guilty about some things he did.

Chase grabbed his hat and his uniform. After putting them on, Chase walked out of his puphouse and looked around. The sun peeked out from the horizon as if it was not sure if it was time to come out or not. The sky in front of Chase was reddish-orange, while the sky behind him was a dark shade of blue. A light wind blew, rustling the leaves on trees and bushes.

Chase inhaled as the smell of wet dew filled his nostrils. It had been raining throughout the night, but the smell of rain still filled the air. The sound of waves crashing on the beach and the singing of birds made Chase smile. He loved living in Adventure Bay.

Chase walked around the Lookout, waking up the other pups. The first one he woke up was Skye, followed by Rocky, Rubble, Zuma, and lastly, Marshall.

"Hey, Marshall," Chase said softly. "Time to get up."

Marshall groaned. "Five more minutes," he said sleepily.

Chase laughed. "Okay, but you might miss breakfast."

Marshall's ear perked up. "Breakfast?" Instantly, Marshall got up, stretched, and walked out of his puphouse. "You know what? I'm awake."

They both laughed. "I thought that would wake you up," Chase said. "Come on."

Chase and Marshall walked towards the Lookout doors, where everyone else waited. They were about to go inside when they heard a distant rumbling noise. The team turned their heads in time to see a female Dachshund drive up on a vehicle.

"Liberty!" They all exclaimed.

"Hey, guys," Liberty said as she hopped off her vehicle. She hugged Skye and high-fived (or high-pawed, I guess) the others. "What's up?"

"We're about to go eat breakfast," Chase replied. "Do you want to join us?"

"Uh, yeah," Liberty said. "I'm starving." She took off her helmet and walked inside with the others.

They turned right to meet Ryder. "Good morning, pups," he said. He noticed the Dachshund. "And good morning to you too, Liberty."

"Hey, Ryder," Liberty said. Ryder served them their breakfast and then sat down to eat his cereal.

"Hey, Liberty," Skye said as they ate. "What are you doing here?"

"Ryder invited me," she said.

"What for?" Rubble asked.

"The Paw Patrol anniversary," Ryder replied. "Today marks another year since the Paw Patrol was created."

"Really?" Rocky and Zuma asked at the same time.

"I forgot about that," Chase exclaimed.

"Yeah, me too," Marshall agreed.

"Mayor Goodway agreed to hold a party in honor of the Paw Patrol. Everest, Jake, Carlos, Tracker, the twins, and others will be there too."

"So, when does it start?" Skye asked.

Ryder checked his watch. "Tomorrow at seven in the morning."

"Awesome," Rubble said, and he continued eating.

Once they finished eating, Chase got up and began heading out. "Where are you going, Chase?" Liberty asked.

"I'm going on a patrol," Chase said.

"Can I come with you?" Marshall asked.

"Sure," Chase replied.

"Hey, Chase," Ryder said. "If you don't mind, I ordered more pup treats for the dispenser. They were delivered to Mr. Porter's Cafe. Can you bring them on your way back, please?"

Marshall licked his lips. "Mmm," he said in a hypnotic tone. "Pup treats."

"If Marshall doesn't eat them on the way back," Chase teased, making the others laugh. He punched Marshall softly on the arm. "Come on. We'll be back."

After they left, Ryder got up to finish some work, leaving the pups by themself. They decided to play outside for a while. They played tag until Chase and Marshall got back. They played hide-n-seek for three hours until Chase and Marshall were called on a Mission to save Callie from the top of Katie's clinic.

After an hour, Chase, Marshall, and Ryder arrived back at the Lookout. The pups were in the living room, beginning the Apollo The Super Pup Movie, so they decided to join them.

When the movie ended, Liberty looked around. She noticed that Chase, Marshall, and Ryder weren't there anymore. "Hey, guys," she said. "Where's Ryder and Chase and Marshall?"

"Oh, they left halfway through the movie," Rocky replied.

"For what?" Skye asked.

"Something about the party," Rocky explained. "Ryder said they just had to check a few things out."

"Okay," Liberty said. "So, they do a lot of things together."

"Pretty much," Skye said. "Chase and Marshall were the first members of the team. They plan everything with Ryder. And Chase and Marshall are like brothers."

"Huh," Liberty said. "I was never told what happened in the beginning, you know? How the team was formed."

"Well, Ryder found Chase in Adventure City, and . . ."

"I know that part, but what happened before that?"

The pups looked at each other. "We weren't told either, dude," Zuma said. "Now that you mention, we don't know what happened before Skye joined."

"Would you like to know?" someone said from behind them, making them jump. The pups all turned around to see Ryder, Chase, and Marshall walking into the living room.

"Would you like to know what happened?" Ryder asked again. The pups looked at each other and slowly nodded. Ryder sat down on the couch, with Chase and Marshall on either side. "Okay."

"Wait, you'll tell us?" Rocky asked.

Chase shrugged. "In the spirit of the anniversary, sure," he said. The other pups moved in closer to hear the story. "Okay, so you know how Skye said that Marshall and I are like brothers?" The others nodded. "Well, that wasn't always the case. But to understand why you need to know what happened before that."

"So when Ryder found you on the street?" Rubble asked.

"No, Rubble," Chase said. "Before that. Long before that."