"My Heart Is In Michigan" - Short Stories

• Dedicated to Valentines Day<3

I know I haven't uploaded in forever! I'm so sorry about that, but with Valentines Day only a day (or two depending where you live) away, I thought I'd give you all a little treat to make your hearts melt :P (I hope)

This is a small snippet of a book I've been working on, not yet ready for Wattpad really, but I figured, it's Valentines Day, why not :P

Let me know what you think! I'd love to here it.

(A/N: The characters live in different countries, just thought I'd clear that up) 

He had, had a shitty day. He had, had a shitty week actually. There was nothing that could make him smile at the moment, even his girl couldn’t help too much as she was caught up with her own life so far away from his own. He felt bad complaining to her every time he had an issue and even though every time she said it was okay and kept going to try and make him smile, he still felt like a terrible person.

Today, their anniversary of all days wasn’t much better. She’d told him that she had a massive test coming up and that she wouldn’t be able to talk to him for the next couple of days because she had to focus on her studies and so far, even though he knew he couldn’t really talk to her properly, he hadn’t received one message like he had thought he would, she was busy sure, but even when she was busy she made time for him.

He drop kicked his bag inside the door of the empty house and frowned down at his still void of messages phone. He missed her; he didn’t understand why she was shutting him out completely, had he done something wrong? Was the test really that hard to study for?

He opened up his phone and sent her the third message of the day, though he couldn’t tell you how many messages he had sent her overall.

‘Hey baby girl, I hope you’re doing okay, Happy Anniversary. I love you.’

He watched the message send and then waited a moment or two, watching the never changing screen. He’d gotten so use to seeing the screen roll over with one of her replies that now when the screen was blank of everything but his pleading words it felt alien, completely wrong and he felt, for a lack of a better words, empty.

He decided to sleep off his worries. He was rather tired after his college classes today and staying up almost all night hoping to see her anyway, so sleep was the optimum thing for him right now, seeing as his girl didn’t seem to be available. The screen of his phone lit up as he was a step away from his door.

‘Happy Anniversary baby! Come to bed? Xx’

He frowned. ‘Come to bed’? What did she mean? She was half way across the world in a completely different time zone and she was asking him to come to bed?

He shook his head, locked his phone and opened the door to his large and dark room, expecting it to be like he left it. It wasn’t. Instead of the dark mess he had left it as, the light by his bed was turned on, and the covers on his bed had been pulled up as neatly as possible without actually having done any work, what he saw sitting on his bed, he blamed on the lack of sleep though.

There in all her non-computer generated glory, with blonde hair that was always ridiculously messy, green eyes that looked even greener when she was crying, and cuddling Romeo the bear, that he had brought her for their first Valentine’s day together but never been able to give her was his girl.

She looked up at him as he stared at her in shock from the doorway and she smiled. “I was wondering if you were going to come to bed,” she giggled, studying his clear and utter shock “I was worried your car might be as frozen as your face.”

He blinked. Twice. Three times. Nope, she was definantly real. “You’re on my bed.” Was the only thing he could muster to say.

“Well, I’d like to think of it as our bed for the next 2 weeks, if you don’t mind,” she paused “If not I can always stay at a hotel.”

“No!” he screamed, almost in complete disgust of the idea. “No,” he repeated calmer “No, you’re staying here.”

“Well good” she smiled, dropping Romeo on one of the pillow and reaching out her hand to him, which he took gladly and pulled her to his chest.

“What are you doing here?” he asked, “I thought you had exams, I thought you had school-“

She pressed her finger to his lips. “I lied,” she shrugged “What other way could I surprise you for our anniversary?”

“How?”

“Your sister kind of helped me” she giggled, as his arms tightened around her “I just wanted to do something for our anniversary, other than buying you a flower or a teddy bear and making you look like a really feminine boyfriend.”

“I love you” he whispered, brushing back her hair and kissing her softly “I love you so much, your perfect, you have no idea.”

“No, I don’t” she smiled, taking his hand in hers, “But you have all night to try and show me, because again, thanks to your sister we have the house to ourselves.”

“Really?”    

“Really.” she smiled, pulling him over to his bed and sitting him down on the mattress next to her, “I’ll make you rainbow pancakes in the morning and everything.”

He leaned in and kissed her giddily, feeling her slender arms wrap around his neck as she smiled ridiculously into his lips.

“Oh and babe?” she whispered pulling back slightly so she could form her words without them being muffled against his lips “I love you too.”

HAPPY VALENTINES DAY EVERYONE! <3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3