The Innocent Love - Part 1

The normal routine in the Kapadia household was going on. 1995 was the year to be precise. Every other chores was being carried out as usual, except that the usually talkative Anuj, who was seen lost in some thoughts, in the background of the just released movie song from the movie, Bombay. 

Kehna hi kya yeh nain ek anjaan se jo mile

Chalne lage mohabbat ke jaise yeh silsile

Armaan naye aise dil mein khileJinko kabhi main na jaanoon

Woh humse, hum unse kabhi na mileKaise mile dil na jaanoon

Ab kya karein, kya naam lein

Kaise unhein main pukaroon

His thoughts ran back to the memories of the girl, dancing to this beautiful melody. As melodious and beautiful this song was, as much as he loved this composition, he couldn't take his eyes off the girl, who had left him mesmerized with her smile, beauty and innocence, along with her graceful dance. To take part in the inter college dance competition and for that she had to give the auditions. 

That's it. He thought.. I'll find out from Devika tomorrow about her. Since I saw her, I am just unable to focus on any other thing. He was impatient till the next morning. Inspite of being an early riser and not having slept one bit through the night, he rushed to the college well before time to catch a glimpse of her right from the moment she would step in the college. 

Parking his bike, at the usual spot, he sat on his bike, tapping his leg in anticipation. Knowing that many eyes were fixated on him, he continued to keep his sight and focus on the gate. He didn't want to miss even a second of her. Closing his eyes, trying to visualise her to see her face clearly, he heard Devika scream from behind, 

Anu, Anu yaar, meri baat toh sunn.. Aunty se mein baat karoongi.. par tu naa, dance competition mein part zaroor legi. Kitna achcha dance karti ho yaar tum. Aisa talent koi chupake rakhta hai kya? Anu.. zara dheere chal yaar aur pehle toh yeh aansoo poch le, warna mein bhi tere saath rodoongi. Hearing that, the pace slowed down, and after what looked like ages, he heard her voice.. Sobbing, she said, Devika, aisa mat bol ne.. Tu jaanti hai, maa kabhi bhi nahin maanegi, iske liye. Kal hi bol rahi thi.. naachna, padhai sab band karo.. agle hafte tumhe ladkewale dekhne aa rahe hai.. mein kya karoon, tu bol.. Mujhe padhna hai, bahut dance karna hai, naam kamana hai, par Maa nahi maanegi Devika. Mera iss competition se naam katwana hi sahi rahega. Tu hi hai naa iss committee mein, toh meri madad kar de.. Pleej. 

Hearing that, Anuj was stumped. The girl, who he fell in love with, without knowing her, without seeing her fully, whose name he just came to know, was about to shut her dreams and happiness for her mother. Following them, he did find out that, she had joined their class recently and had become Devika's best friend, in a matter of few days. Knowing that Devika was very choosy about her friends, and that he was one of her close friends, infact best friend, had made the job easier for him. 

Tapping Devika's shoulder and waving a HI at her, he smiled and waited for Devika to introduce the Love of his... *shhhh said his mind*.. 

Hi Anuj... kya baat hai, aaj khud hoke aaye ho, baat karne. Warna mein toh tumhe dikhti hi nahin hoon.. taunted Devika in her usual style. Holding her in a side hug, Anuj said, achcha theek hai, ab toh aaya hoon tumse baat karne and hinted her to introduce her to the Girl in the Pink. Waise, yeh kaun hai, jiske saath aajkal tum ghoomti rehti ho, mujhe bhool kar aur ab taunt kar rahi ho. 

O.. yeh Anu hai.. Anupama Joshi. Kya kamaal ki dancer hai. Pata hai, she is going to represent our college and audition dena hai, and she is backing out now. Isse samjhate samjhaate thak gayi hoon mein. Tum bol ke dekho. 

Haan.. meine kal dekha tha iska dance.. aur dekhte hi reh gaya. His eyes were fixated on Anu, who by now had become very conscious of his presence. Snapping him out of his thoughts, Devika exclaimed.. tune dekha iska dance, kaisa tha.. achcha laga tujhe.. bata naa.. and she pinched him.

Ouch, Devika yaar, aisa kaun karta hai. Par sach bataoon, Anupama, tumhara dance bahut hi achcha tha.. itna grace tha usmein.. tumhe backout nahin karna chahiye. Btw, I am Anuj Kapadia. Achcha laga tumse milke. and he forwaded the hand for a handshake. 

Jai Shri Krishna, was the reply he got and that too in a soft voice, eyes on the ground. 

She moved forward towards the class with Devika, only to turn around, at the door and had a very small eye contact with Anuj. 

That EYE CONTACT.. which stirred something in both of them... 

....... To be continued.