The First Moon's Light

Nyx felt the shift in the air. The full moon was coming soon, and she needed to hide from the others. Especially the other scouts. If they found out her secret, they would hunt her till the end of time. The only scout who knew her secret was a fairy named Rayla, who always took her shift of scout duty on the full moon.

Nyx is one of the last primal fairies. Primal fairies are more in tune with nature and animals than animal fairies, making them great scout fairies. But the curse of the primal fairies is what makes them dangerous. They can shift into a monster based on an animal they are connected with. Nyx's form is the wolf, strong and fierce. Her form is more monstrous than other primals due to more of the instincts needed to be in her form.

(The day of the full moon: night)

Nyx looked over the old bird's nest she used to hide from the others. It was old and worn but comfortable. She felt the dark coarse fur try to push itself through her skin; the pain of her bones snapping and rearranging caused her to howl in pain. The transformation was starting, and it was painful. Her face began to form a snout, sharp teeth forcing their way through her jaw, ears becoming more wolf-like, moving to stand on top of her head. She started to lay on the nest to wait out her transformation, and that was when she saw the familiar glint of pixie dust in the corner of her eye. She sucked in a breath. Someone found her. The wolf side of her growled, "Nyx?" The voice was soft, which startled the primal because she always thought she would be hunted down if someone saw her. The fairy who found her looked down at the primal fairy as they held out a hand for the primal to sniff. The smell of the other fairy reminded Nyx of the musk of deer, but the scent of pine and waterlilies was beneath that. It was Fawn who found her.

That was when Nyx felt her body go cold. It was Fawn, the one she fell in love with years ago. The love of her life now probably sees her as a monster. Nyx flinched away like she was a kicked puppy. "Nyx, easy, it's just me. Calm down." Fawn whispered, trying to calm her girlfriend down.