1

I smile as I look down at the child sleeping in my arms. To think that he is 6 years old today. I smile, brushing his black hair from his face.

He was such a beautiful boy.

He opens his eyes and looks up at me.

"Mommy?"he asks, making me chuckle.

"Yes my darling?"I ask.

"I'm hungry. Can I have a snack?"he asks softly.

"Of course."

...

I smile as we walk hand in hand into the kitchen. It was late, but I didn't mind giving him a snack.

I help him as he climbs into one of the tall dining chairs and sits down.

"What would his Majesty the king Cain like to have for a snack this evening?"I ask.

"Peanut butter sandwich."He says with a smile.

"Ah, what a beautiful choice. Will we be having it with or without the crusts?"I ask, getting a plate from the cupboard.

"Without please, madame."he says.

"Another excellent choice."I chuckle.

I begin to gather the ingredients, making sure to keep track of the time.

"Mommy."Cain says.

I turn to see him staring down the hallway.

"What's wrong baby?"I ask.

"The man is back."

I look down the dark hallway and my breathing hitches.

"Is he saying anything?"I ask softly.

Cain shakes his head.

"He wants me to follow him. Can I go?"he asks innocently.

"Oh no no, it's too late to go anywhere now."I chuckle.

I quickly make the sandwich and cut off the crusts.

"Here you are my sweet."I smile, placing the sandwich before him.

"Thank you."he says.

He begins to eat the sandwich as I walk towards the hallway.

I go into the closet and then pull out a standing cross, then I simply position it directly before the opening of the hallway.

The house shakes a bit and I look around before it abruptly stops.

I huff as I walk away from the hall and back towards Cain.

"Eat up little one, your uncle is coming over tomorrow."I say.

"Oh fun!"he says before taking an excited bite of his sandwich, making me chuckle.

.....

"Alright, 10 fingers?"

Cain excitedly gives his uncle a double high five.

"Very good! You're getting big now aren't you?!"he says, making me chuckle.

"I GREW 3 WHOLE INCHES UNCLE ACE!"Cain screams at the top of his lungs.

"I'M VERY HAPPY FOR YOU!"Ace shouts back.

"Children, please."I groan, rubbing my temples.

"Did you bring me anything? Hm? HM? For my birthday?! HM?!"Cain asks, jumping around excitedly.

"Of course I did, you think I'd forget about my favorite little caveman huh?"Ace says, going into his bag and pulling out a small box.

"I got this from a haunted antique shop in Salem. The keeper told me that it belonged to a witch who was to be burned at the steak, so she filled her dress with nails and gunpowder, so when they set her ablaze she blew up."Ace says, slowly placing the box into Cain's hands and watching his eyes gloss over with curiosity.