Chapter 17 - Just friends... for now

They walked over to the limo where Zayn’s chauffeur was waiting for them.  Soon enough they packed their luggage in the trunk and were on their way to the Styles’ house first, since Jack’s house was on the way to the Malik’s residence .

The drive was mostly quiet, cause only Alice was talking, usually making rhetorical questions that didn’t need an answer or expressing her own thoughts that only needed a nod or hum of approval. Harry was quietly typing in his phone as always, while Zayn and Jack were deep in thought and occasionally looked at each other.

“I’ll see you tomorrow”   Zayn said kissing Alice slightly on the lips before she waved at Jack and got out of the car, then gave Harry a manly hand shake, but this time it was kind of different. Zayn was trying to concentrate on letting Harry’s hand go and not pull him in a hug, or who knows what more. Why was it getting so hard to fight his feelings all so sudden?

“Bye Zayn” Harry said quietly with a smile, and moved to Jack, leaning down to kiss him on the lips, but Jack turned his head causing Harry’s lips to land on his cheek.

Harry looked at Jack confused but when Jack gave him a smile and whispered a ‘talk to you later’ ending it with a wink, Harry smiled back and followed Alice out of the car.

Jack and Zayn were left alone again. Zayn pulled up the divider between the and the driver so they wouldn’t be interrupted, or just be more comfortable while talking.

“Zayn… I think you should tell Harry” Jack said sincerely “You’re hurting yourself by holding it all in, and Harry too”

“What if he doesn’t feel the same way? It would ruin our friendship forever” Zayn sighed “And I ‘m marrying Alice in 20 days”

“I’m sure she will understand… better sooner than later!”  Jack ushered, but Zayn of course shook his head

“Even if she understood, I still can’t. I’m not marrying Alice because I want to! I’m 19 for god’s sake”  Jack’s eyes widened, and he looked at Zayn surprised. What was he saying? “This is an Arranged Marriage”

“What?! They still do these?! But… how?” Jack asked dumbfounded.

“If I don’t marry Alice, everything will be ruined! My dad will lose everything if our Company doesn’t collaborate with the Styles’, and he’ll do mad” Zayn put his hands over his tear stained face. He was hopeless.  There was no chance that he would ever be happy with Harry, even if he liked him back.

“You can marry Harry! It’s the same” Jack suggested, and a bit of hope actually light up Zayn’s face… but no! He couldn’t hurt Alice like Connor did.

“I can’t” Zayh whined again “Just let this go.  There’s no hope for me and Harry, and besides I don’t even know if he likes me… he probably doesn’t!”

Jack pinched the bridge of his nose, frustrated. Why wouldn’t Zayn just listen to him? Maybe he just convince Harry into telling Zayn?

Impossible

He’s even more hopeless than Zayn.

Jack needed a plan to get them together… and help. But he couldn’t just go to Alice and ask her to help him get her fiancé and brother together… just no!

“I think you need to talk to someone… take it all out” Jack said narrowing his eyes a bit.

Zayn gulped, shifting his gaze from Jack’s face, to his hands that were resting on his lap. He bit his lip, and let out a deep breath.  Who could he talk to? Call Liam? Niall? His mother? No, that would have been to hard and just… plain stupid. They wouldn’t understand…