CHAPTER TWELVE | nolan

I don't remember stopping, but waking up on the ground, with Aislin curled up beside me, I couldn't exactly complain too much. Unfortunately, I had to stretch and move about to keep my muscles from cramping any more than what they already had. Carefully, I moved her to rest against the tree that had kept my own sleeping body propped up. Looking down at her, she looked so peaceful, compared to last night, as the images of last nights adventure came flooding back.

I shook my head to clear my thoughts because I was gonna need a clear conscious this morning. Trying to figure out how far off course we were was going to be pain. I felt dirty and wished I could take a shower, or at least go for a swim, but I hadn't heard or remember hearing any running water near by. Absent mindedly, I walked around our little campsite. There was no fire, no food, and no blankets to have kept us warm. We had left all our supplies behind. And even though I had managed to grab my quiver and bow, that had been taken from me last night by those two thugs. Infuriated, I gritted my teeth.

I had already learned that kicking a tree's trunk wasn't going to get me anywhere. I was so frustrated with our situation, I wanted to punch something, anything for that matter, but knew that wouldn't solve anything either. Pinching my eyes shut, I forced myself to take a couple of deep and slow breathes. Rubbing my hands against the mop of hair atop my head, there was no other way I could see, to release my pent up anxiety. I didn't want to take out any of this on Aislin.

Glancing over to where Lady and Belle were dozing, I thought about hopping onto Lady's back and going for a morning ride, but two things crossed my mind. Firstly, I didn't want to leave Aislin here all alone, especially after yesterday's events. And secondly, I knew a morning ride would turn into a morning gallop. That in and of itself would be foolish. Galavanting around in unknown territory and with blind rage itching for any possible way to escape was disaster waiting to happen.

Shaking with fury, I just couldn't help but feel responsible. Feeling like she was put in my care for a reason and I had let her down. What kind of guy does that? Bending my knees, I lowered into a low crouch and my head sunk even lower. Kind of like a puppy with its tail between its legs.

Opening my eyes, I raised my head and could feel tears threaten to release themselves, as they burned at the corners. Pressing my palms into my eyes, I hoped the pressure was enough to stop them from pouring forth. After a few moments, which hadn't seemed quite long enough, I refreshed my gaze and my eyes landed on something that was strange, odd, and beautiful to see in such a place as where we were.

The deep, crimson red petals were stark against the vibrant apple green of the forest grass. Thin rays of the morning sun shone softly upon it. I wanted to reach out and touch it, but I refrained from doing so. Something wasn't right. There were no others beside it, as I glanced around to find where it had come from. I hadn't seen anyone drop it off, and yet there it lay, right in front of me.

I was no long filled with rage, but a mysterious foreboding flood of emotions. The rose beckoned to me and I felt my hand reach out to scoop it up softly, cupping it in my rough hands. Bringing the exquisite flower closer to me, I witnessed the scariest and most intriguing thing happen right before me. Watching carefully, the rose began to turn black. It started from its core and the change in pigmentation crept to the edges of its petals. Soon, the rose was no longer the deep, crimson red I had laid my eyes on, but now, cupped in my hands, was a velvet black rose.

I had never witnessed anything like this in my whole entire life. It was still alive and I could feel its veins pulsating with life. It was velvety to the touch, and pitch black like a moonless night. It did not wilt under the soft touch of my fingertips either. Perplexed by the enigma of it all, this was the understatement of the year, to even compare my feelings and state of mind to such a chance encounter as this. I could not come up with a valid explanation for this exotic raiety I had just witnessed.