CHAPTER NINE | aislin

Please vote, comment, and share/recommend! Thank you all for the support :D

*****

I lay in bed. Thinking. Who was that stranger from last night? How had it known my parents? What favor did it owe my mother anyway? Why hadn't it shown up ten years ago when I lost my parents? What made it think I wanted it's help?

I mulled these questions over in my head. It wasn't like it was going to make a difference. It was just that that was all my life consisted of; questions. All these unanswered questions that burrowed cavities in my already aching brain.

The tavern was dead. I could have heard a mouse it was so quiet. Gosh, I hope there were no mice. Inching my eyes to search the hardwood floor of the bedroom, I carefully scanned the area. I smiled when I confirmed that nothing unwanted was scurrying around. Tiny creatures, in short, fur coats, with long, rope like tails, unreasonably large eyes that popped out of their head, and big, elephant like ears that, in my opinion, were oversized for the tiny thing, did not have a place in my bedroom, or for that matter, any room I was occupying.

I glanced at the battery-powered clock and groaned. Pulling the sheets over my head, I just wanted to disappear and forget everything that had happened up until three days ago. Three days ago would have left me time to grab shoes and make better decisions. But all of that didn't matter, unless I could travel back in time. And believe it or not, no one had found a way to build a time machine, and it was already 2021.

I peeked my head out from under the covers and was greeted by the cheery warmth of the sun. Well, at least it was a good day for traveling. I thought. Staring at the clock, I watched the second hand click its way around, making a complete circle, before beginning again. Batteries, because of World War III, had become a high priced commodity. Even though electricity was still present, it was being strictly reg.

It was now or never. Right? I either ignored everything these last couple of days, or I continued on this journey to find Destiny and get some answers. What if she can't answer my questions? I shot upright in bed. What if Destiny had no answers? What if all this was a dream?

Suddenly, the doorknob jiggled and in walked Nolan. Screaming, I lost my balance trying to take cover under the comforter and landed with a thud on the floor. Ouch. Yep, not a dream. I thought. I don't think you can actually bruise yourself in your dreams.

"What the hell! Haven't you heard of knocking?" What a nincompoop. Jerk. I thought as I stood.

Not like yesterday morning, I was dressed this time in a knee length, cream, cashmere sweater that lightly hugged my slim figure. There were times I wished I wasn't so thin, but I wasn't complaining. It was nice not having to worry about fitting into really cute clothes.

"I'm sorry. It's just I did knock. Five times. And when you didn't answer..."

I narrowed my blue eyes at him.

"And what?" Throwing up my arms, I moved swiftly over to where he stood in the doorway. "You just thought you would help yourself and let yourself in?"

I saw his cheeks flush. Dropping his gaze, he reminded me of a little boy, caught red handed. I couldn't stay mad at him, so I made a deliberate attempt to frown, before proceeding with my complaint.

"What is it you wanted, Nolan? That was so important you had to barge in." I gave him a serious, quizzical look; I had witnessed my mother do it with my father plenty of times when I was younger.

He dared meet my unforgiving eyes and replied, "you should probably get ready and clean up. We leave before noon. We need to get a good start if we are visiting Aeneas."