Chapter 7

Eyes wide and frightened, Noah looked around frantically and saw that he was surrounded. Movopare were circling in on him from all directions and he would soon be overpowered. His sword hung limp by his side, his arm too heavy with fear to engage it. Emma stood outside the circle, trapped in a cage, her magic rendered useless by it.

Tears ran down her face and he desperately wanted to help her, but every muscle in his body was frozen stiff, as though they were in an Arctic wasteland. A hunching, snarling Movopare was only feet from him now, a giant club swinging from his monstrous hands, the spikes on it ready to draw blood.

Murderous, the Movopare looked towards him greedily and sprang forward with a war cry that made Noah run, run for his life. But as soon as he turned around he found a wall of the creatures blocking him. He was trapped between the wall and the Movopare with the club. Noah sank to his knees, wrapped his hands around his neck, closed his eyes and prepared for death.
......
Noah awoke in a cold sweat, the hairs on the back of his neck standing up from the intense terror that had been his nightmare. His dreams had been fractured and disturbed lately, as a result of him worrying that the Movopare would attack and he wouldn't be ready. He looked around. The sky had a tinge of a pinkish gray morning light, meaning dawn had come. It showered the trees with pale sunbeams, making the leafs create distorted shadows on the ground. They quivered, showing the rapidly approaching fall.

During his time at the complex, Noah had discovered that the Great One made the climate change everyday, according to his preference. Today it was a lush forest, thick with flora and fauna alike. From where he stood at the window, Noah could see a doe dancing through the meadow by a patch of wildflowers below the rapidly-turning-blue sky. The sight soothed him as he tried to quiet his mind.

He heard a groan from behind him and jumped, still anxious from the aftermath of his troubled sleep. Noah rubbed his eyes as Emma woke up, trying to conceal any signs of fatigue.
His sister stretched out. "You're up early."

Noah scratched his neck uncomfortably. "The curtains were open. The Great One made it extra bright today." Emma looked at him doubtfully and said, "Yes, I'm sure the Great One specifically intended to mess up your sleep schedule."

Signing, Noah gave in. "Alright, I had a nightmare, but I'm fine. The attack on the train makes me anxious it will happen again." He pulled out a cotton light green t-shirt and blue jeans. They had a day off today.

Emma looked at him sadly. "Believe me, I know the feeling, but the situation is different. There we were unprotected and had no idea what was going on. Here we have people that can fight."

She extracted a fiery red dress from her own dresser and went to the bathroom to shower. "I don't know, Noah. Maybe these dreams mean something. You should ask Ravetin."

Zipping up his black sweater, Noah thought about it. It seemed ludicrous that his dreams could mean anything, but he just found out he was a mutant dragon - human combo a couple weeks ago. Maybe him dreaming about the Movopare attacking would lead to him getting a new pair of shoes. He didn't really know what to expect anymore.

He heard the shower switch off and knew his sister was almost ready for the day. He liked Sundays. From 7-9 they had a meeting with Ravetin about their weekly progress, and then they just got to spend free time in the recreational area of the complex. Noah had made friends here, a lot faster than he had back home. He was looking forward to the day.

Emma joined him now, her wet hair plaited down her back, a denim jacket over her dress.

They stepped through the door and went to meet their mentor.
......
Ravetin welcomed them with fruit smoothies and plush armchairs this time, which they sank into and watched him. For a while he said nothing, and then finally spoke.