Chapter 6

A pair of icy blue eyes were staring at Noah as he woke up. He struggled to prop himself up, then rubbed his eyes and sighed. "What time did you get up?"

Emma responded, "8:00. You'd better shower, Ravetin said he'd pick us up at 9 and we should probably talk."

Noah yawned and then obliged. A lurking thought still echoed in his mind; he still felt something was off. Almost as though the protective charm the Great One had cast was being attacked by some unknown force. Or, as Noah thought of the Movopare, an identified one.

He switched on the warm stream of water and thought about it. Their escape from the train had probably infuriated the leader of the Movopare, and he knew people (or whatever they were) let anger cloud their better judgement. If the Movopare were swooping in on them at this moment, he wasn't sure if the spell the Great One had put on the camp would hold.

He emerged from the bathroom minutes later to see Emma sprawled out on the bed, reading something. Upon a closer look, Noah saw that it was their Mom's journal she had left here. He spotted his dad's laying next to her on the bed, grabbed it and flipped it open.

Dear Diary,
We knew this was coming.

How could it not?

The Movopare have despised us ever since that day, long ago, on the Ponsfata bridge. They thought we were the last ones of our kind.

Noah and Emma change that.

They will not be safe in the mortal world, at least not for very long. I must talk with young Ravetin about escorting them, if we do not succeed. Sarah and I plan to go home to get them, but we are not sure it will be completely harm-free. If there were another way... No. We cannot disguise ourselves and leave the children to suffer.

What am I to do? Without the children, I can fight off the Movopare, with magic. But managing 3 bodies is a lot harder than managing one. And I love them so dearly, there is no other option.

Except... If we flew over in dragon form.

We'd have to fly so high that no Movopare would ever see us, but I am not sure Noah and Emma could stand the pressure and temperature that flying that high would require.

I'm not sure about anything.

Yours,
Daniel

And then earlier entries. Noah read the first one his dad ever wrote.

Dear Diary,

Giddon gave me this to write in. He said it might come in handy one day, that words are the most powerful weapons of all. I cannot foresee when that day will come.

I must have a lot to learn.

A group of us came to this complex and heard a story all of us thought was the most ridiculous thing we'd ever heard... Until we realized it was the story of our own lives.

We are Dragon Warriors.

According to Giddon, we have to train everyday. Apparently I am especially proficient in magic, so time will be taken out of my regular training hours to teach me how to "connect my mind and soul and project that energy through my body," as Giddon put it.

Anyway, I was put in this room and told to enjoy myself. My roommate is Sarah. She's pretty, and smart and she seems strong, from this bruise on my arm. This room is so lush it seems to much for me. I don't really fit in, with my tattered clothing and smeared face. It just doesn't seem natural. I should be in the shack across the way and Sarah should have this room to herself.