Chapter 3 - New Faces

With flattened ears Libby and Alex moved on, walking between Bandit and his companion. They're so cruel! Libby wondered what Pack they were from. And who was this Wessels wolf? Why would they give such horrible orders?

She also wondered about the Pack. What if they'd already lost the battle and were all dead? She pictured her mother and father lying on the ground and not moving, their bodies growing cold. Her stomach felt hollow at the mere thought.

No! The Pack of Fading Shadows is fierce! she told herself firmly. A bunch of ruffians would never win against our family! Pike is the best Leader, and Mom and Dad are strong!

Though she didn't know what exactly Alex was thinking, it sure wasn't as positive as she kept trying to make herself believe. He walked low, his tail between his hind legs and his ears drooped. He was whimpering softly.

Libby wished she could say some encouraging words to her brother, but didn't dare to. She looked up briefly at the female, who made eye contact and raised her lip threateningly. Libby's gaze quickly turned to the ground in front of her again, and she tried to focus on her surroundings.

So far, the forest was awful. It was large, and lush, and deep green different from the pale yellow grasses of the Brightened Plains. Aside from birdsong, the engulfing branches and their shadows made it feel like she was suffocating. She missed the openness of the Brightened Plains, and couldn't believe that she'd ever wanted to go to a place like this. Hopefully, the wolves weren't taking her into the middle of the woods.

Suddenly, the she-wolf halted, her ripped ears erect. "Bandit," she addressed expressionlessly

"Yes?" he stopped walking too, and gestured for the pups to do the same. Libby and Alex did as indicated.

"I heard something..." She started looking around, her dark blue eyes gazing from left to right and scanning behind every tree and bush.

"Maybe a deer," Bandit muttered.

"No. Ugh, blast this wind!"

An unfamiliar snarl suddenly sounded, though Libby couldn't decipher from exactly where. "Not a step further, you scum!"

Pawsteps sounded from around them, and Libby was surprised to see four wolves emerge from the bushes, surrounding them. While Alex tucked his tail, Libby managed to gather the courage to raise her lips at them.

The wolf who had spoken before, a slim but nonetheless strong-looking and very pale silvery-gray male, approached. His golden-colored eyes narrowed. "Stealing pups, I see?"

Bandit stepped in front of the other kidnapper. "No, you brainless squirrel! She's my mate! These are our pups!"

The female made a gagging motion behind his back and whispered something along the lines of "I don't need you to defend me".

Libby moved closer to Alex, until their flanks were touching.

Alex replied with another whine.

"Let the pups go. Now," the pale male demanded.

"Nonsense! These are ours!" Bandit barked. "Don't think we can't detect your disgusting, salty stench! You're Wessels' wolves! You're not welcome here! Leave now and give us the pups!"

Bandit lowered his head, baring his teeth and his hackles rising. "You want a fight?" he snarled. "Then you'll get one!"

He threw himself onto the pale silver wolf and went for his throat. The gray female went for a wolf that smelled neither female nor male at her left, a white one with red eyes and black ears.