Chapter 5 - Something Between Me And You

Kara was getting used to having another Kryptonian with her. It was all so much easier, so much faster. And being able to share the experiences of Kryptonians was really nice. Clark lived in another city, they hardly ever met or talked. Being able to talk to Vik, especially since she still had some memories of their home planet, was comforting. Not to mention that Vik was extremely competent and daring at work. This yielded very interesting stories and a new point of view for Catco. Several times they laughed together at the headlines 'Onyx: who is the newest member of the superfriends?', 'Supergirl's new pupil: Onyx'. Vik liked having two identities, she was comfortable with both, being the reporter and the heroine, two separate images.

"Sometimes it's easier to separate that way. Maybe one day I'll do like you and reveal myself... but for now, I'm comfortable that way. Vik and Onyx." Vik said one day.

The part about maintaining two identities really pleased Vik. She could remain anonymous in her act of observing, something she quite enjoyed doing. Observing people, listening, noticing the actions of each one in the most diverse situations. And so often on game nights, dinners, karaoke nights, Vik noticed Kara and Lena. The glances, smiles, those light touches that were disguised as unintentional, their body language. She once commented to Alex at the bar where they were with everyone:

"Alex... is it just me or is there something between Kara and Lena?"

Alex, pretending not to understand, took the time to see how far Vik had already realized in such a short time.

"Something? What you mean?"

"They like each other. And not just as friends. They really like each other, it's very visible. Plus their hearts race wildly when they're close to each other."

"That's true, I forgot that you hear beyond." Alex laughed.

"So there is something."

"I think they're afraid to give in to what they feel."

"But why? Love is such a very beautiful thing... and I can see that what exists between them is something very strong. And that's why I didn't even dare to do or say anything."

"Like what?"

Vik lowered her eyes, laughed awkwardly. She didn't want to talk about what she felt, but she felt like she could open up to Alex in that situation.

"Oh, Alex... I don't know what happened to me when I first saw Lena in that park. It was something so different. I've never been attracted to women before, but it was like an ice cube dropped into my stomach when I saw her. And I realized with time that I was becoming interested in her. But then I started noticing the two of them, Kara and Lena. I could never get into their midst, interfere with this history that is older than my arrival. I think I fell in love with Lena, but I couldn't do that with Kara, I couldn't try to conquer Lena's heart."

"Vik..."

"And I don't even know if I can stay here without being able to live that love. There are times when thinking about it hurts me a little, you know? Maybe I should go back to Germany... time and distance would take it off my chest, bring me back my serenity."

"Don't make that kind of decision like that, in the heat of things. Usually we tend to regret when we do anything on the spur of the moment. Think about it, reflect on what you feel, on what you want. And only after that make your decision."

"Regardless of what I decide in the future, I think someone has to do something to bring these two together. It cannot go on like this. Such a beautiful love cannot be wasted like this! And I know I wouldn't have much of a chance myself in the face of something as strong as what exists between them."