S1E1: The Vanishing of Will Byers

November 6th, 1983

The air is crisp and cool on the night of November 6th, 1983, which is why I keep inside the Wheeler's house, studying for biology with Nancy Wheeler.

The two of us used to be close, but then life happened—we drifted apart. Became strangers once again. She started hanging out with the biggest douche in school, Steve Harrington; and I continued to hang out with Robin Buckley, my best friend since middle school.

I lie on my stomach on her bed, reading questions from the biology flashcards she made. "What is the white substance contained in the fiber cells?"

"Cellulose," she answers immediately.

"Yep." I put the card in the back and read from a different one. "Here's another one—The motile bacteria are able to move by...?"

"Flagella."

"Correct."

The baby blue rotary phone sitting on top of her bedside table begins to ring. She leans over and answers it. "Hello?..... hi, Steve," she says dreamily. "No, I'm not doing anything." She props up against her headboard and starts twirling the phone cord around her finger.

I gather my books and point to the door, knowing that our study session has come to an end since her douchebag boyfriend called. "I'll just go then," I whisper.

She nods and mouths the word bye, and I walk out her bedroom door. On my way out I pass by the door to the basement, where her brother seems to be having an epic battle with his friends.

"What if it's the Demogorgon?" Dustin asks. "Oh Jesus, were so screwed if it's the Demogorgon."

I walk down the steps to the basement. The boys sit around a table with a Dungeons and Dragons game board in the center of it. Mike's face is hidden behind the script to the game as he reads from it.

Dustin smiles brightly at me and waves. "Hey, y/n."

I smile back at him. "Hey, Dustin."

"It's not the Demogorgon," Lucas says.

I pick up Mike's script and read from it. "An army of troglodytes charge into the chamber!" I say, picking up the troglodyte game piece and slamming it on the board.

"Troglodytes?" Dustin asks with a raised brow.

"Told ya!" Lucas says, and the boys laugh.

"Wait a minute, did you hear that?" Mike asks, looking around at the boys. "That... that sound? Boom... boom... BOOM!" He slams his fist on the table, causing the boys to jump. "That didn't come from the troglodytes. No, that... That came from something else... The Demogorgon!" He bangs the figurine on the board.

Dustin groans. "We're in deep shit."

"Will, your action!" Mike shouts.

"I don't know!"

"Fireball him!" Lucas says.

"I'd have to roll a 13 or higher!"

Dustin shakes his head. "Too risky. Cast a protection spell!"

"Don't be a pussy!" Lucas snaps. "Fireball him!"

"Cast Protection," Dustin argues.

"The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering! It stomps towards you! BOOM!"

"Fireball him!"

"Another stomp, boom!"

"Cast Protection."