Chapter 11

Aneira groaned as she hopped from Claer's back, ignoring the dragon's curious look as she stalked towards the stronghold. I can't bear Devyn anymore, she thought to herself bitterly, gritting her teeth to prevent herself from letting out another frustrated sound. She clenched her hands into fists and walked down the hall as quickly as possible, ready to complain to the duke about the seemingly impossible odds of taking down the enemy captain and her army.

As the blonde girl took a sharp turn in the direction of the cabinet room, a hand caught her by the arm. She spun on her heel, still fueled by enough adrenaline that she nearly struck out by instinct before recognizing the face of the person clutching her arm. It was Las, their powdered hair sticking up in clumps, as if they had just rushed over while in the middle of styling it. They hesitantly removed their hand from Aneira, murmuring an apology upon seeing how on edge she was.

"Sorry," Aneira told them herself, managing a soft laugh. "I just really need to meet with Duke Cadogan. There have been some recent developments that I think he needs to hear more about."

"Anything I can help with?" Las asked. They sounded so hopeful that Aneira hated her next response.

"No, I don't think so. But thank you for offering."

Las nodded with an air of disappointment and slunk off back down the hall. Aneira peeked inside the cabinet room. No one was inside; she would have to wait for the duke to arrive before she could say anything. I should have just gone to Carys, Aneira told herself, leaning against the cool stone wall. Or I should have just let Las listen to all my complaints. She shut her eyes and took a calming breath. No use worrying about any of that. I'm here now, so the least I can do is wait. And wait she did, until Duke Cadogan's broad form sauntered down the hall.

"Captain! I hope you haven't been waiting for too long," the man told her, sounding a bit flustered. He hurriedly opened the door for her and stood to the side to allow her to enter first. Aneira stepped inside, offering him a nod in thanks. She was too restless to sit, so she settled inside for standing beside her usual chair. Cadogan raised a thick eyebrow at her decision, but didn't mention it as he stood at his own spot. Aneira could guess that the duke itched to sit down; however, she assumed that he didn't want to sit while she stood, and she suddenly felt a little guilty for making her choice.

"Is there something in particular you came to me about?" The duke asked at last, his tongue flitting out to wet his lips. His warm brown eyes darted up to meet hers, and she thought she saw a hint of fear flash through them. I must really be making him unnerved with my behavior... I am usually much calmer than this.

Aneira cleared her throat and forced a smile. "I don't mean to make you worry, my liege. I'm just a little... how should I put it? I'm a little concerned, is all. I caught Dreg's lead captain spying on my training this morning. Claer — my dragon — and I chased her off, and we fought on dragonback. She had managed to best me in combat after a while, but we had flown back here before she could do any serious damage. It still... it was a little disconcerting." Aneira silently cursed herself for the tremor in her voice.

"Ah," Cadogan replied after a moment. His eyebrows creased in concern, his gaze fixed on the table. "You'll need to plan a counterattack, then. I've noted a pattern in the battles, and it seems as if most of the successful Dregian victories have been battles in which they have initiated. Perhaps it is time to turn the tables."

"You're... you're suggesting planning an offensive move. Launching our own attack instead of lying in wait." Aneira murmured thoughtfully. She considered the idea. It could work. Ledah hasn't won many of the fights that Dreg had carried out, at least not completely... Maybe we could be the one to be on offense this time. At the least, it would test their defenses. It might throw off their planning, keep them guessing.

The duke simply nodded, finally caving and pulling out his chair to sink into it. He rested his elbows on the table; Aneira almost felt the need to chide him for it, having been lectured to keep her arms off the table for the majority of her childhood. The thought almost made her chuckle aloud. How strange, to be standing in the cabinet room planning an attack, and thinking about my childhood for the first time in an eternity.

"It seems possible," Aneira finally replied. "I can get a few of our larger troops to fly to the Dregian stronghold in the morning. We just can't let any word of the attack get out beforehand, so as to take them by surprise. And then maybe... No. It has to work." She chewed the inside of her cheek. She caught Cadogan's eye and had to force down a wide smile. He looked so proud of her, as if she had come up with the idea all on her own. Aneira would never grow tired of seeing him look at her that way.

"Fly hard," the man told her as she moved to leave the room. He stood and intercepted her before she reached the door, clasping her hand in both of his. "And stay safe. If you play this out right — and I know you will, as you always do — then perhaps Ledah will see a real victory soon enough." A smile tugged up the corners of his lips, and Aneira nodded and rushed from the room, the fear from earlier washed away and replaced only with a strong determination to finish this war once and for all.