Black Hearted: Chapter 26

It was an insignificant victory, but Jack fist pumped the air like a rockstar as he followed Solana into the kitchen.

The pressure in his head at the sight of Abraham's hands on Solana had been replaced by anger when her best friend found excuses for his schemes and lousy behaviour. Another strike against the man. Jack wasn't afraid to admit to his part in the ploy, but didn't want her to find out that way. He'd much rather control the situation. In the end, however, it worked to his advantage.

Maybe his bad luck streak was over. For the last few months, he'd been in a slump between losing the Stinson Studios deal and not being able to close the Anderson takeover. A friendship deal with Solana wouldn't help the company's profits, but somehow it made him feel richer.

Jack paused in the doorway to admire the view in the small kitchen. Solana kissed her grandmother on the cheek as she squeezed between her and the round, dark-wood table dominating the room. Ximena smiled at the gesture. Her eyes found his, and the smile grew, setting off miniature fireworks in his chest. She winked and flipped a pancake.

A tug on his sleeve drew his attention to Luc. "Sit beside me."

He didn't try to hide his smile. This child wanting to be near him bloomed a simple joy and there was no point in denying it. At least here.

In this house, there was a freedom not available in the outside world. No need to hide from prying cameras, calculate every move, plan every action. There were only three sets of eyes observing him and two of them didn't judge him based on how many zeros were in his bank account or what club he could get them into. Solana still made assumptions about him, most of which were probably true, like being shrewd when it came to business and high expectations from those around him. But some of them he didn't want to be, like being an asshole womanizer. At least not anymore. Well, the womanizer part.

Luc pulled out a chair by the window and as Jack sat down, the feeling of family he'd last experienced as a child nudged at his heart. There were a few misty memories of meals at a table with his parents. His mother elegant and smiling, his father laughing and vivacious. The images transposed over Solana and Luc.

"Blue or Red?" Luc put a hand on Jack's arm.

"Sorry?"

Solana filled in the blank. "What color mug do you want?"

"Yeah." Luc pointed to the mugs already on the table. "Abuela has yellow, that's her favourite. Solana has purple and mine's green. What's your favourite colour, Jack?"

Big brown eyes of innocence regarded him. Embarrassment crept in and the smile receded. "I don't know." A simple question no one had ever asked him. "Black?"

Luc scrunched up his face. "Black isn't a colour. It's a lack of colour. Like a black hole."

Luc was right, black didn't count as a colour. And if he was being truthful, Jack didn't really like black. His closet was full of black suits, shoes, and coats. A hangover from his boarding school days and encouraged by his uncle. "Black is best," was James's favourite cheers before downing his scotch. Black was strong and powerful in the boardroom. Expected and respected. Outside the boardroom, it lent an air of mystery. His car was black, his office furniture, his phone, even the watch on his wrist. Black surrounded and reflected him.

Ximena placed a plate of pancakes in the center of the table. "Luc mi amor, any mug will do."

"No." But he did have a favourite color. One he'd dress his ex-wife in, one he snuck into his wardrobe in the single item that allowed a little expression. He thought of his favorite tie. "I want a red one."

Luc beamed at him, and the admiration from the boy set off additional fireworks. "Good choice. My second favourite colour." The boy darted across the kitchen and pulled a bright red mug from a cart at the end of the counter.