Chapter 3

The next day, Evie wasted no time in getting to the library. Just after an awkward breakfast with Nikki, she strode to the large, cathedral-like building. it was the second largest building on campus and was also the least populated. the library was the one building that wasn't updated in the last century.

Salem Academy was located outside of Salem, Oregon, and was a school of the arts in 1923. But around 1945, the school was made to focus on more academic studies. The school wasn't made a border high school until the sixties. Since then, the school seemed to loose popularity and there were currently about 800 students in the whole school. However, the students that do attend the academy ended up going to the best collages around.

As Evie scurried up the steps of the library and strode though the gigantic wooden doors, started to feel at peace. Libraries had always been her favorite place in the world. There was something about the smell of the ancient pages that calmed her. She cherished every book she owned more than any piece of jewelry or technology, even money. She only really liked money in the sense that it could buy her books. 

Evie found a computer and started searching for anything on the history of the school or her dorm house. Any clue that she could find on what she saw...

The morning bell startled her and she jumped. A snicker from behind her followed. She turned and a mop of sandy blond curls ducked behind the shelf behind her. She huffed, then went to science class.

***********

"Mrs. Dunham Finally gave us the requirements for the Arts Festival, so I'm super excited for that..." Nikki explained. But even though Evie could hear her, she wasn't listening. Her mind was too wrapped up in what had happened the night before.

"Science was boooooooring! Mr. Francis wouldn't even let me do the paperwork for the lab! All I did was wear a dress to class... Evie?"

Evie snapped her head up to look at Nikki, who appeared a little annoyed.

"Sorry, wasn't listening," She defended. "I was just thinking about what we might have seen last night. It doesn't make any sense. What could possibly be down there?" 

Nikki looked down and began to play with her pen. She suddenly looked stressed. Not much, but it was just enough to notice.

"I've been doing anything to think about everything but that..." she whispered.

Evie opened her mouth to speak, but was cut off by a familiar voice.

"Well, if it isn't my stupid sister and her lovely friend!" It said playfully.

Evie turned her head and saw her brother, Eithan, standing just behind her. She laughed. Her brother was a junior at Salem, and was one of her best friends. She and Eithan had been close since they were kids and she was ecstatic when she got accepted into Salem.

"It takes one to know one, Eithan." She joked.

"Oh, I'm lovely? Thank you! I didn't think you had it in you to compliment me."

With that she punched him in the gut and he laughed. Nikki had turned beet red.

"So, ladies, how have your first few days at Salem been?"

Evie thought of the door and the room, but quickly though of something else to cover.

"It's been pretty good actually. Classes are okay, except for Mr. Stirling's geometry. But, other than that it's great!"

Eithan sat in the chair across from her and Nikki.

"That's good! I remember when we surprised the principal with a pie to the face my freshman year."

Nikki laughed, "I heard about that! From what I heard, you got like three months detention for that."

"Actually, it was three and a half... but it was worth it!" he explained. Evie stood as the release bell rung.

"Well, as fun as this is, I really need to get to the library for a... science project."

"Okay, you should meet up with us at the ice-cream shop when you're done." Nikki suggested.

"Okay, sounds like a plan. Keep it PG you two!" she shouted as she walked out. The last thing she saw was Nikki's face turn bright red.