Chapter One

The music began to beat through the speakers. The games were about to start. People from all over the world came to see THIS game. They stomped and chanted with the music. The players lined up in the center of the field. The referee walked between the two teams. He brought ot a shiney, gold coin, and fiddled with it as he explained the rules. When he finished, he prepped the coin to toss. He flicked it, and it reflected thelight of the stadium mid-air...

        "Evelyn Scott!"

        Evie came out of her boredom induced daydream. 

        "Here, sir," she groaned.

        "Well Ms. Scott, it would be in your best interest not to not doze off in my class."

        "Yes, sir."

        Great, first day of her first class at Salem Acadamy, and she was already on her teacher's watch list. 

        "Okay everyone, listen up. I am going to be putting you into pairs for today's activity. You will work with this person for the rest of the semester for your science projects that you will desplay at the Salem Acadamy Science Fair. Also, they are worth roughly a third of your grade, so make 'em good."

        Evie shifted in her seat nervously. Mr. Summers would probably pair her with someone awful. Probably a kid who would't even look at the work. Then again, she could be paired with someone nice. She only knew a few people at the school, but none of them were in her class. So, she would have to make due with what she had.

        "Betty Michaels, you'll work with Evelyn." Mr. Summers ordered. 

        Evie looked to where Mr. Summers was pointing.

        Mr. Summers was gesturing to a tall, intimidating looking girl. Her long, dark hair was braided down to the middle of her back. Her pale green were piercing.

        "Okay, you have your partners. Get to work!"

        Everyone rose from their desks, and moved to lab tables. Evie, took out her textbook and carfully made her way to her table, Betty following behind. Before Evie could even get a word out, Betty held up her hand.

        "Look, I don't like this any more than you do. And, based on your little show earlier, I think it would be best for both of us if you stayed on the sidelines." Evie was dumbfounded. Betty thought she was stupid, or at the very least incapable. 

        "I'm sure you are a creative girl, but in this room, I know more than someone who dreams the class away. So do us both a favor and stay out of the way," Betty commanded.

        Offended, Evie took out her textbook, flipped to the chapter on cell biology, and thrust it into Betty's arms. She wasn't about to be ordered around by this girl's ego.

        "If I'm such an idiot, ask me anything from this chapter."

      Betty glared skeptically and began to skim the pages. She looked back up at Evie, a challenging glint in her glare.

        "Explain osmosis."

        Evie thought back to what she read.

        "Osmosis is the diffusion of water. The water moves from a place of high concentration to one of low concentration."

        Betty nodded and looked at the book again. 

        "What is the uncontrolled division of cells?"

        "Cancer."

        "First stage of mitosis?"

        "Interphase. I can go all day, girly." Betty raised her brow and put the book on the table.