Chapter 28

⚠️ TRIGGER WARNING, PRECIOUS! Mention of Sexual Abuse & Rape! ⚠️

After dinner, we returned hom to change into our swimwear. Then, I led Máiréad into the special forest just as the night set in. The scenery was absolutely breath-taking! The colorful rocks and flowers illuminated the entire forest. Even the water was lit up, almost like a swimming pool at night, but without any light bulbs.

"Oh, my gosh," Máiréad said breathlessly. "It's so... so... so beautiful!"

"Isn't it?" I agreed.

"How is everything lit up?"

"Just their natural glow," I explained. "They lights up at night."

"That's so cool."

I nodded with a smile. "Would you like to goes for a swim?"

Máiréad looked at the shining water. "Is that water safe to swim in? I mean, I know that bioluminescent algae can make you sick."

"Very true that is, Precious, but not this particular kind. These waters are safe. The algae is harmless. Come." I took Máiréad's hand. "We gives it a try." I led her to the water. "Don't be afraid, Precious. It won't hurt you." As we approached the water, and began to wade in, we felt an overwhelming sense of warmth and comfort. So pure was the air. So pleasant the algae's fragrance, and so soft the water felt against our bodies as we slowly went in deeper. We found a place to sit, and the water came up to our chests. It seemed to caress and massage our bodies.

"Wow... this really feels good," said Máiréad. "I've never felt so... comforted by water."

"Not just the water it is, my love, but the algae. Its purpose is healing, comfort, calm, everything good."

"That's why I feel like I'm being hugged, even though there's no arms around me."

"The algae is nuzzling against your body."

"Wow. And, it smells so good."

"Take it in. Breathe in the fragrance."

Máiréad did so.

"Now, breathe out."

And, she did just that.

"How does that feel?"

"Like I'm..." She did it again. "Like I'm breathing in the good... and letting go of the bad. I feel like I'm being cleansed from the inside out."

"You are. That's what these waters are designed for."

"So... everything here is really safe."

"Everything, love. There is no poison, no threats to your life, nothing that will harm you... and if you are ever injured here, you heals very fast. Nothing here is fatal."

"Wow, I... I wish I could just stay here."

"Well, Precious, you can comes here anytime you wants."

"Even in the middle of the night?"

"Yes. Maybe I will brings you here for a midnight swim."

Máiréad smiled at me. "That would be awesome."

"Precious? May I asks you something?"

"Sure."

"At the restaurant, you said you thought you saw something. You seemed very disturbed. If you don't minds, what did you think you saw?"