Prologue

John's POV

My partner, Bobby, and I pulled up to the old, run-down motel. We believed that this was the place the skin walker was. I stepped out of the car and went around to the trunk. Bobby joined me. We grabbed a couple of handguns with silver bullets. "Ready?" I asked.

"As ready as I'll ever be," he replied. We headed towards a door that was loose on its hinges. The room number was so faded that it was unreadable. I slowly pushed it opened, sticking my gun in the room before following it with the rest of my body. There was an old, worn-out bed with the sheets wildly spread out, indicating someone had been sleeping there. The doors to the bathroom and adjoining room were completely off. I was heading towards the bathroom when a small wolf cub jumped out of the adjoining room on my left and into my path. Before we realized it was young, Bobby and I instinctively aimed at the creature. I relaxed a little.

"It's just a pup," I said, signaling to Bobby to let down. The young wolf was growling at us. Tucking my gun away, I crouched down. It kept growling. As I slowly stretched out my hand, the cub seemed to calm down. It started sniffing my hand, then sat. It then shifted into a little girl who looked to be between one and two years old. I reached my hand closer to her and she grabbed one of my fingers. I smiled.

"What are we going to do with her?" Bobby asked. I took my hand back and looked up at him.

"Well there's no way she killed all those people."

"You think?" he asked sarcastically. I just rolled my eyes and looked back at the girl. I swear she was smiling. Just then, an adult wolf leaped through the door and stood in between me and the girl, growling. I bolted up. The older wolf walked towards me, still growling. The little girl shifted back and stepped in between me and the older skinwalker, whom I presumed to be her mother. They started barking and yapping back and forth. Soon, the pup started whimpering and backed off. The mother continued to advance towards me. I reached for my handgun as she pounced, but I wasn't quick enough. She pinned me to the ground and started snapping at my face. I heard a gun shot and the creature stopped moving. I pushed its lifeless body off me. Bobby then put his gun away and helped me up.

"You alright?" he asked. I nodded before turning my head from side to side looking for the young pup. I heard what sounded like crying coming from under the bed. I looked and sure enough, the little girl was there.

"Hey there," I said. She scooched back a little. "No, no. It's okay, it's okay. I'm not gonna hurt you." Her big eyes stared into mine. She started to crawl towards me. I wrapped her up in my jacket and picked her up. I took her into the adjoining room and, after finding some clothes and diapers, I got her dressed. "What are we going to do?" Bobby asked again. I looked down at the little girl as I made my decision.