Chapter one - Lucy

Emily and I walk out of the stone prison that we call school together. Down the steep stone steps and in to the freedom of the fresh spring air. I glance over my shoulder at the people staring at Emily, she seemed oblivious to it, yet she always was.

Adolescence hadn't had much of an impact on Emily. She had long black hair as soft as silk and huge piercing blue eyes. Flawless skin and a smile always plastered on her lips. Whereas I much in the contrast, frizzy brown hair and greasy skin. Along with what mum called puppy fat when she was being polite.  Emily had a strong character, that made you want to be around her. Drawn to her presence, over all of this she chose me as her best friend.

I am exceptionally quiet. I have lived in the borders of our small town all of my life. My reputation presents me as the girl that puts her head down and works. I used to spend every second of my spare time supporting my dad in running his musty bookshop on the outskirts of town. In fact that was how Emily and I met. I was behind the counter reading a classic and Emily was very enthusiastic about the book.

Then my life began to change. I was no longer the girl who walked alone in the corridors, eating a sandwich whilst doing my chemistry homework. Avoiding anyone in plain sight . I was invisible to my peers and for a very short amount of time, that was the way I liked it. Until Emily expanded my horizons, told me I didn't have to be the old Lucy-may anymore. Becoming the person I am today.

" Lucy, your miles away." I hear Emily's voice ring and her elbow poke me. I instantly awaken from my daydreams. " Yeah sorry, Em" I respond. Emily just shakes her head in a teasing manner and pulls her designer handbag further up on to her arm. I pull out my I phone out of my blazer pocket and read all of the messages. Two from mum and one from my brother Ben. Nothing new.

Emily swipes her hand, grabbing my phone and changing the screensaver to a picture of us at my house last summer, a vivid memory that I treasured. We continue to walk making a brief conversation until we reach my house.

To my surprise, my dad is already home from the shop. His eyes bloodshot and face pale. His glasses on the top of his head. I tap him on the hand and he jumps in shock. " Lucy, Emily I didn't see you two." He says with a forced laugh causing me to become more and more worried. " Dad, what is wrong?" I question in fear.                                                                   " Nothing Lucy, I just have a really bad headache." Dad mumbles quickly and I am filled with the sensation he is lying. I just nod and Emily waves me goodbye as she consults her watch. " See you tomorrow for the second day back Em." I call after her watching her walk down our street.

Authors note

Major alterations are on the way for True Colours. I am currently changing from third person to first person. So bare with me in the process. Updating/ Changing a chapter every day with a few plot twists for all of you who have already read the original version of true Colours. Thank you for your patience and I really appreciate all of the reads on this book. It is incredible. Comment on what you think is wrong with Lucy's Dad and what you want in the future. I would be happy for any recommendations.

Goblingirl25 xx