xiv. echoes of the past

⋆☆.* ✧✰ .✦⋆*☆

GENERAL NOVA SOLO WAS AT PEACE. It had been about a year since the fateful Battle of Crait, and Nova had spent the majority of her time since crafting missions and helping to train not one but two Jedi Knights in the making. She and Leia were both training Rey which thankfully took some of the exhaustion out of it, but regardless, Nova was finding that she rarely had any moments where she could just sit and rest by herself. Whenever she did find these moments, she didn't take them for granted; she'd go to her favorite spot just inside the forest of trees and meditate.

Ever since Luke's passing, she had learned the importance of meditation. Not only did it help strengthen her connection to the Force, but it also helped keep her mind off of everything she had going on in her busy life. While she meditated, she cleared her mind, refusing to think about Rey's lightsaber training of which she was responsible for. She refused to think about Finn's progress, and all of the missions she was responsible for, and Poe...

She was finding it harder to clear her mind of Poe, and for more reasons than one. It seemed her increased responsibilities had created a bit of a rift between them; he felt she'd be of better use in the field on missions, whereas she knew she needed to be back at base training Finn and Rey and, well, helping run the Resistance. Also, not that either of them really knew it yet, but the feelings they had for each other were no longer simply platonic, so that definitely didn't help matters.

Nova shoved the topic out of her head before she could dwell on it any further and instead focused on her breathing and the serenity that surrounded her. She was calm, at peace, relaxed...

"It's on fire!" Poe's distant voice pulled her from her meditation, and she let out a huff, opening her eyes to see the commotion through the trees. The Falcon was back, and Nova had a feeling she wouldn't be seeing any more peace anytime soon. Poe continued to address the fire crew.
"Whole thing's on fire. All of it, it's on fire." Nova swore under her breath and stood, making her way through the trees. As she emerged, she found Poe and Rey in a rather snappy argument, but that wasn't uncommon. Like with Nova, Poe felt that Rey would be of better use in the gunner's chair rather than staying back at base trying to learn the ways of the Force.

While he understood the importance of it all, the hopelessness they had all experienced during the Battle of Crait had made him put an emphasis on the actual fighting aspect of war. He wanted to see the progress happen swiftly rather than with waiting and patience; Nova knew it was just his way of coping with all the loss they had dealt with, but it irritated her nonetheless.

The general slowed to a stop a few feet away from her friends, her arms crossed over her chest as she watched them argue. As Finn approached, Poe stormed off, and Nova took it upon herself to call after him.

"I take it you got the information?" He stopped in his tracks, his gaze almost imperceptibly softening at the sight of her. He took a few steps her direction.

"We did, Artoo's got it."

"And there was trouble?" Any softness that had appeared across his face left in an instant.

"Gee, ya think?" He gestured to the Falcon for emphasis.
"Could've used your help, really." She arched a brow at him, uncrossing her arms and taking a step forward.

"So we're doing this again?"

"You know what? Yeah, we are. I can't do my job if I don't have my crew."