3: Hospital

Espresso sat up with a jerk, gasping for air. What happened?? He looked around him, he was in the town's hospital. Still breathing heavily, he tried to remember what could have happened to make him end up in the hospital.

The door to his room opened. "Oh! Espresso Cookie! I didn't expect you to wake up until tomorrow." Pure Vanilla Cookie, the town's best healer said, closing the door. "How are you feeling?"

"Uh.. Alright, I suppose..." Replied Espresso, still very confused. "Do you perhaps know what happened to me..?"

"Ah, yes!" He said, with a smile. "You had been bitten by a cake monster around your shoulder, while you were in that group of cookies you guys pulled together to attack the cake hounds! It didn't go according to plan, and while you did defeat a large quantity of the cakes, most of the cookies were severely hurt. At least, that's what I've heard from Gingerbrave."

Espresso looked at his bandaged shoulder. He remembered now. "But.. How did I get here?" He asked, turning back to Pure Vanilla.

The door burst open again. It was... Madeleine. "Espresso!!" He said, happily walking over to where Espresso laid. "It's good to see you're awake!"

He didn't say anything. What was that dreadful cookie doing here?? They had rarely spoken before, so... Why was he visiting him?

Pure Vanilla laughed. "This is Madeleine Cookie, you might know him. He was the one who brought you here! He saved your life."

Espresso was speechless, and he turned to look at Madeleine, who was proudly smiling.

"It was nothing, really! I was fighting cake hounds of my own, when I heard the most horrible scream, and I knew someone was in trouble. And I saw you, Espresso." He looked Espresso dead in the eyes. "You were knocked out, cold, and a cake monster was attacking you! I did what I had to do to protect a fellow cookie in need!" He beamed.

Espresso could feel his face heat up. He was saved.. By Madeleine?? He was embarrassed to be assisted by such an idiot. "I.. Uh... T-Thank you.. Madeleine..." He muttered.

"Of course! Like, I said it was no problem at all! I did what I had to do!" He said, practically skipping out the door.

Pure Vanilla laughed again, watching Madeleine leave. "What a charming young man." He turned again to Espresso. "You've been asleep for five days, but another night here, and you should be able to leave the hospital, almost good as new!"

Espresso sat up. Five days?!? He had wasted five whole days resting. He couldn't believe he let himself sleep for that long.

"I'll be back later!" Pure Vanilla promised, leaving the room.

He was left dazed and confused. Madeleine saved him.. He imagined how stupid he must've looked, passed out in the knight's strong and masculine arms...

He snapped back into reality. "What the hell-? What am I thinking??" He thought. "I'm acting like I... I like him.. LIKE him..? What am I, back in middle school?? I sound so stupid.."

Espresso sighed and laid back down. "I'm going crazy. I don't "like" him. I don't even know him. He's an idiot who saved my life and happens to be, like, the hottest cookie on Earthbread." He slapped his hand over his eyes and groaned. "God, I'm going insane.."