3.

She woke up when the carriage stopped and heard a short tap on the window. Still half asleep, she stretched and stood up, seeing Popov opening the door of the carriage and offering her his hand.

"I can go out on my own," she snapped and ignored his hand.

''I never doubted.''

Out of the corner of her eye, she noticed how he rolled his eyes and strode in front of them.

"Don't take his behavior personally, Princess Katerina," Fyodorov addressed her, standing next to her. "He can be a bit harsh, but he is the most honorable man I have met."

His eyes lit up as he said this, and Katerina realized how much respect these boys had for him even though, she still saw no valid reason for it.

The three of them slowly marched towards Evermore Palace, which was breathtaking and larger than Katerina could have ever imagined. She realized how little she actually knew about the Palace that had been built decades ago and served as a safe house for people like her – or what they thought she was.

"Should I be worried?" Katerina asked the brown-haired Fyodorov, who did not leave her side.

"I'm of the opinion that you shouldn't, princess. ''

"Call me Katerina," she said with a smile. "You were very kind to me."

"It's the least I can do, prince-" he stopped with a nervous giggle. "Katerina."

"That's better," she giggled as well. "Does this happen often? To detain people depending on what the rumors say?''

"I have to admit that no. Especially if they attack us while we are bringing someone to the Palace,'' he said honestly. "Actually, I don't remember us having a case like yours since I've been here. And you, Petar?''

He addressed the silent boy on Katerina's right who just shook his head.

''I don't think so. There were a few rumors over the years, but most were quickly proven hoaxes. No one was brought to the Palace in front of Bogdanov. Never.''

Katerina nervously clenched her hands into fists and swallowed the lump. Although she tried to convince herself that this was all wrong and she wasn't what they thought she was, a part of her shuddered with fear that maybe she really was the reason for the light that drove the Etiorians away. She unconsciously ran her hand over her still throbbing chin, biting her lip from the radiating pain.

She was so lost in her thoughts trying to compose herself that she didn't even notice the opulence that resided inside the Palace itself: the jewels hanging from the opulent chandeliers, the evergreen color of the walls, the gold-framed paintings, and the marble floors where they could see your reflection.

Fyodorov and Milenov stopped in front of a huge wooden door next to Popov who still had an inscrutable expression on his face. He stared at Katerina for a few moments, slightly pursing his lips.

"Are you ready?" he asked.

"No," she said honestly. "I don't know what to expect."

"Don't worry, it won't hurt much."

"Hurt?'' she widened her eyes in disbelief. ''What will hurt me?"