2.

"Your Majesty, the High King's army is here," her commander-in-chief Marcus spoke, bringing her back to reality.

"What do they want?" she muttered thoughtfully, looking out the window, her gaze fixed on the valley that stretched along the entire kingdom.

"They say they came on the orders of General Bogdanov."

The mention of his name made her relive the events of a few nights ago. She heard the screams of her friends and acquaintances, the unsuccessful escape of many, as well as blood gushing in all directions. And that light... The light that blinded everyone present like a shield, and scared the Etiorians to the bone; causing them to retreat instantly. She remembers rushing towards her unconscious daughter, the daughter from whose direction the light was coming. She was unconsciously shaking her head in disbelief.

"Let them in," Ines replied coldly, holding back the tears that were ready to escape at any moment from her frightened eyes.

She approached her throne with a hesitant step, glancing wistfully at the throne where her husband was no longer. It was still hard for her to do all this alone, without his hand and warm eyes by her side. However, knowing the cost of everything, she composed herself as best she could – putting on the famous Alekseev mask of calculating and not at all vulnerable women.

The heavy wooden door opened and two navy blue uniformed soldiers led by a black haired man walked in behind Marcus. Although he seemed extremely young to her, the look in his eyes said he had been through much more than she could have imagined. His uniform was different from the two soldiers, it was charcoal colored with emerald cuffs on the sleeves. It matched his charcoal hair, blue eyes and pale complexion. He was tall and muscularly built, and you could tell by his uniform that he was in excellent shape – the way you should be if you had the responsibilities that came with his title.

"Your majesty," he bowed formally, stepping closer, leaving the two soldiers behind. He put his hands behind his back and stuck his chin out decisively, which only accentuated his physique even more.

"To what do we owe your visit?"

"We have an order to deliver your daughter to General Bogdanov."

"I'm afraid that's not possible," she said reservedly. "Katerina experienced a great shock due to the attack that hit our kingdom. She has only been conscious since a few hours ago. The royal doctor ordered strict rest.''

"I think that is of the least importance at the moment, Queen Alekseeva," he said with a stony expression, clenching his jaw. She could have sworn he reminded her of someone she knew once upon a time. "Especially with all of Ravenshield buzzing about the princess's... debatable abilities."

"Forgive my manners, but that is nonsense."

"Is it really?"

"Are you questioning my integrity, young man?"

"Of course not, Your Majesty," the corner of his mouth quivered slightly. "I am not here to question anything; I'm just carrying out General Bogdanov's orders.''

The queen watched him in silence for a few moments, trying to control the feelings that fluttered in her chest.

"What is your name, young man?", she asked him monotonously.

"Popov", answered her. "Colonel Andrej Popov."

"Do you know, Colonel Popov, how many people were lost as a result of the Etiorian's attack?", she asked him without waiting for an answer. "Dozens of people. What about our people, the staff, the high officials of the entire Ravenshield? Do you know what a loss that is to this kingdom? For Ravenshield?''