6 | Troubled Waters

Days, later

                       Days, later.
                     ______________

It was Friday, April, the 2nd at around 9:00 am, when Melissa received the phone call from Dr. Serpentine who informed her that Derek was being discharged this morning and that they needed her to come in and fetch him. Extemporaneous, when she told the doctor she would be there soon, she dropped the handset of the telephone down on the floor, as soon as he told her the news and hurried to get everything ready before Derek came home from the hospital.

After she finished settling Holly to sleep, she left the washing machine running, hired a nanny, that paid reasonable hours, took a shower and drove down in Derek's car to Missouri so she could pick up him from the hospital.

It had been a harrowing last couple of days filled with stress, upheaval and financial worries when Melissa had been forced to return to their apartment in New York, during Derek's stay in the hospital, after she got word from Mr. and Mrs. Coombs - their neighbours about a man committing suicide on the Fifth floor, of their apartment and landing on the terrace of their balcony. She ended up going back and forth between caring for Holly, hiring nanny after nanny, all the while trying to keep her head above water and still making time to visit her husband in the hospital.

If that wasn't bad enough, the day that was the end of all days, crept on her like an unwelcome serpent as soon as the landlord came knocking on their door and demanded for the eight hundred dollars in rent money, to which she politely gritted her teeth at the rat-faced, middle-aged man and told him, she would have it by noon tomorrow. A blatant lie of course, but the relentless son of a bitch wouldn't leave until she gave him an answer.

She was running out of options fast and she knew if Derek didn't get this job or something didn't come up within the next twenty-four hours they would be destitute with nowhere to go.

After she left to go pick up Derek, it was about a quarter to four in the late afternoon when Melissa arrived at the hospital. She wandered through the branches of dark green corridors that lead in the direction of his ward, walking on a cloud of uncertainty as she clung to a bag full of some of Derek's personal belongings from home that consisted of a few of his clean pressed clothes, some aftershave and a comb and beard trimmer. She thought he may have wanted to freshen up before he got on the road.

He instantly looked like a child to Melissa when she found him, seated on the edge of his bed, lost in a sea of hopelessness with no recollection of where he was or what he was doing there. His tousled black hair clung to his head in bedraggled misery and his face looked hollow and pale underneath the dim, fluorescent lighting of his ward. This was the lowest she had ever seen Derek since his father died.

Hoping to surprise him, she never said anything to Derek at first, and picked out some clothes for him, meticulously placing them on the bed neatly beside him. She hesitated when an attractive brown-haired, nurse in her late twenties came strutting in Derek's direction, disregarding everyone else in the room and reminded him to take his medication.