32 | Face - Off

I'm not looking to escape my darkness, I am learning to love myself there.

--- Rune Lazuli.

Derek couldn't believe his eyes when he realised who was responsible for firing the gun at the unsuspecting officer

Derek couldn't believe his eyes when he realised who was responsible for firing the gun at the unsuspecting officer. It was David standing in the doorway wielding a Smith and Wesson 9mm pistol in his hands. It was the exact replica of his. From what Derek could tell is David had not seen him, yet, which gave Derek limited time, to find a place, in the house, whilst he, could strategically plan out his next move.

The gun, that Derek held, in his hands, only had a few rounds left in the chamber of Rodney's gun so he knew, he had to use each bullet sparingly. Derek proceeded to fight his way across the hard, wooden, neglected floor, by crawling it across it, as quickly, as he could, trying to get away before David could spot him in his sight.

He should have known David was behind this, Derek thought to himself, through clenched teeth before discovering an old dusty cabinet, that looked as if it hadn't been cleaned since it was placed there.

This entire thing had been a setup and David was behind it all. He quietly hoisted, himself inside the large dusted cabinet, that was just big enough to accommodate him. Derek had to forcefully restrain himself from coughing and wheezing, from the stench of the moulded dust that had taken residence in this old outmoded piece of Victorian furniture.

He could feel her menacing cold presence lurking about in the house. The air, always became unusually colder, against his skin, when she was around. While he sat there, huddled up in the darkness of the closet, he had left the door, just a few inches open so he could see exactly where David was situated in the house. He was standing in the dining room now, waving the gun, at the officer, who was almost on the brink of death.

Derek could see from the vicinity of where he was situated in the house that the mobile phone, he positioned against the wall, still appeared to be filming without it running out of memory, which he had hoped would get into the government officials' hands once they arrived at some point.

The officer was lying helplessly on the floor, while a pool of blood began to surround his deteriorating body, which was seconds away from being a corpse. The doctor in him, that had a great fondness for helping people wanted to assist this man, but he knew couldn't allow his heart to rule his head, by slipping up, and making irrational choices, that could greatly jeopardise his plan.

He was even beginning to contemplate creating a diversion, just so he could ambush David from behind, but then he thought back to his father's words, coming back to haunt him, when he told him, as a young boy, that he should never underestimate a madman with a gun.

Derek rested the only weapon he possessed on him, in between his legs, paying careful considerable attention not to make a sound. When he looked up, he had already wandered off to the basement, leaving Derek alone for the time being.