Chapter 13

Ever since that day, Sabrina have been apologizing to me. I keep telling her it is okay, but she never listen. Dylan have been calling the house to talk to me, but I would keep on refusing him. One time, he even came by here, but Nicholas convince Dylan to leave out. It was hard for me to help out with the masquerade for a few days because of the crutches. Things has been awkward between Drake and me, but we grow closer since he pick me up from Dylan’s house. I saw another side of Drake that I like very much. Actually, my feelings for Drake has grown and I can’t find a way to stop it. I can’t stop thinking about him, but I would keep reminding myself that Drake was not interested in me to stay focused. Now, today is the night of the masquerade. I didn’t need the crutches any more, but Caleb suggested that I keep the cast on longer. He told me that my ankle wasn’t healed all the way. Now, I was going through the list to make sure everything was ready. The ball room was ready and the tables was set. Everyone was getting ready. Ana came downstairs with a beautiful emerald dress. She wore her hair in a bun. She came to me.

“Where’s Emily? I ask

“Mom and Dad won’t let her go since it only for grownups.” She look at me up and down.“Why aren’t you dressed?” Ana ask. I hear the door knock.

“I told you. I’m not going.” I said as I went to the door.

“Why?” She said as she whine and follow me.

“I told you why. I don’t want to go.” I open the door and smile. “Hey Lucas. Thank you for coming at the last minute.” I said as I gave him a hug.  He hug me back.

“Of course. I would do anything for a friend.” He said.

“Who is he?” Ana asked as she smiled at him flirtatiously.

“Ana, this is Lucas. Lucas, this is Ana. Lucas would be bartending.” I said.

“Cool. Nice to meet you Lucas.” Ana said as she held out her hand. He smile and took her hand.

“Nice to meet you too.” He said as he leans down and kiss the back of her hand. “You look amazing.”

Ana blushes. “Thank you. You don’t look bad yourself.”

“Thanks.” I felt awkward watching them.

 “Um… Ana. Why don’t you show Lucas where the bar area is? I said

“Yes I will.” She says as she took Lucas hand and pull him away.

‘Sigh’ As soon as I shut the door, I went back to work. After a couple of hours, the guests start to arrive. Everyone was downstairs, except for Drake. I went to Mrs. Knight.

“Have you seen Drake?” I asked

“The last time I saw him, he was in his room.” She said.

“Thanks.” I said as I went upstairs. Like Mrs. Knight said, Drake was in his room. Drake didn’t even look up. This is my first time in his room. His room was big. Of course he has girl posters on his walls, but his room was tidy. Drake was sitting on his bed. I went to Drake and sat beside him. He was holding a picture of woman standing next to a little boy.

“She is beautiful. Who is she?” I asked Drake.

“This is Aunt Maria.” He said.

“Is the boy you?”

“Yeah. This was the last picture we took together. She always told me to treat ladies right and to always follow my heart. She would say that she can’t wait to see me find the right girl and start a family.”

“Then why you not down there finding the right girl.”

“Because… I’m nervous.”

“You nervous?”