Chapter 8

Things are quiet for a few days. They see Gog around the Estates but he just smirks and walks away.

"Alright. I gotta go. I'll see you tomorrow." Dennis grabs his bag and kisses Charlie.

"Be careful, darling."

It's a hot and miserable day, with very few calls. Al's ex, Tina, shows up frustrated that their son, Liam, has been sent home from school for pranks. She's got an important meeting at work, so she leaves Liam at the fire station. Ziggy and Al try prank calling a lady but the lady recognizes Zig's voice.

"Al, where's ya kid?" Mal questions.

Al storms off to find Liam. He eventually finds him with a bag of jelly babies. They go back into the break room. "If your mum asks, I didn't give them to ya. In fact, who did give you them?"

"The man." Liam says. Dennis turns and sees the jelly babies, his heartbeat quickens.

"What man?"

"Fireman."

Al looks around the room. "Who give him sweets?" Everyone shakes their head. "You've gotta stop telling fibs mate. Alright? I'm serious. And all this stuff with the pencil at school, not cool. Not cool is it, uncle Asbo?"

Liam turns to Dennis who shakes his head. "No. Not cool."

"Now," Al pours hot water into a cup. "Go and pour this where I showed ya."

Liam pours the water in the seat across from Dennis. "Hey Liam. What did the man look like?"

"Fireman."

"Yeah but was he tall, short, fat, thin?"

"A big scar going down the side of his face."

"Yeah?"

"And he was Chinese. And he had fangs."

Dennis chuckles and pats him on the shoulder. He makes his way down the hall where Liam said he saw the man. He had his suspicions, but they were confirmed when he glances in the small window of the multi faith room. He shoves the door open, letting it bang against the door.

"Hello chubs."

Dennis takes in the sight of his father and closes the door behind him in a hurry.

Kev is speaking to Rosa, the woman whose baby died in the Churchill fire. She mentions wanting to see Dennis, saying he was a big help during the fire, him and his mum taking their other kids while they talked to the police. Kev freezes, remembering Mrs. Severs saying they were out of town. He rushes through the firehouse, yelling for Asbo. Dennis is arguing with his father when he hears Kev calling his name. He steps into the hall and sees Kev walking away.

"Alright, Gov?"

"I just saw Rosa Paknadel." Dennis starts to panic as Kev walks closer. "She says you was a big help the night of the fire which is just, well, it's weird. Cause your mum said you were, what was it? Up north, visiting your dad?"

"Gov, I can explain it."

"I bet you can. Bet you got all sorts of answers up your sleeve. You seem like a very talented liar."

"Kev?" Mal interrupts. "Trish is here. She's in your office."

Kev watches Mal walk away before pointing at Dennis. "You stay where I can find you."

Dennis walks around the corner, making sure no one is around, and calls Charlie.

"Everything alright, babe?"

"He knows." Dennis breathes heavily.

"Slow, deep breaths Den. Who knows what?"

"Kev found out mum lied. That I was there the night of the fire. This has all gone to shit, Chuck. He left to talk to Trish but I know I gotta tell him. And me fucking dad is here."

"Hamish is there?! Why?"

"He just got out. He wants me to go to fucking Spain with him."

"I'll be there in a few. I'll pick him up and get him away."

"I can't ask you to do that." He takes shallow breaths.

"You're not. You're gonna have to tell Kev now. And you've got to calm down before you start hyperventilating. Your dad isn't helping things. I'll be there in a few minutes. Where is he?"

"In the multi faith room.."

"On my way."

Dennis stands in the hall to calm his breathing. Once it's even, he thinks it's now or never. He heads towards Kev's office, only to find Trish and Liam.

"Where's Kev?"

"You know what," Trish sets Liam on the floor, "pop off and go find your dad, sweetheart." She walks over to the door. "Dennis what's the matter?"

"It's not... I can't. I need to speak to Kev."

Trish grabs his arm. "No no. Come in. Hey what is it?"

Dennis sits down. "The fire. The fire it was...

"What fire?"

"The Churchill Estate fire."

"What about it?"

Dennis meets her eyes and they just stare. As time passes, dennis' face scrunches up as he tries not to cry.

"You?" Trish asks. "The two boys. What, how... you have to leave. You can't. You can't be here. I can't I can't breathe... you... it was our life!" She starts to cry. "How could you do that to a person? To someone? He thinks he can trust you, he trusts you. And you betrayed him. It's disgusting."

He grabs his head and starts to rock as the tears flow. "I know." He sobs. "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry."

Rob knocks on the door and walks in, causing Dennis to turn away to hide the tears

Rob knocks on the door and walks in, causing Dennis to turn away to hide the tears. Trish looks at Rob. "Just hay fever. He's suffering a bit."

"Right, what you need is a spoonful of-"

"Snip, piss off." Trish snaps.

Rob looks at her confused before leaving the room. She goes back to Dennis.

"I can't." He says. "It was an accident. Gog started it. I can't... what will he do?"

She sits across from him. "I dunno."

"I can't. I don't wanna go to prison."

She grabs his face gently. "You have to tell him."

He sniffles. "I know. I know. I want my mum."

She walks behind him and rubs his head. "Yeah I know the feeling. Take a minute. Pull yourself together and we'll go and find him." He takes the deep breaths like Charlie showed him and stands up, hating himself. "Ready?" He nods wordlessly.