Berwick-upon-Tweed

"I told you not to go searching on your own," said Miriam Shacklebolt sharply. "If you are responsible for any kind of damage or injuries, I cannot help you unless you have explicit permission to search for the circus."

Severus scowled and his fist tightened. "I almost had them," he pressed out, "But I was too late."

So close. He'd been so close to finding them.

He whirled around and paced restlessly in Shacklebolt's office, ignoring her annoyed huff.
Skender would probably remain either in England, or move on to Scotland. But where could he have disappeared too? There were countless cities he could have chosen, and even more villages.

"Markus! Stop pacing!" snapped Miriam and stood up, throwing her long, black hair across her shoulder.

Severus glared at her for using his (fake) first name.

"I want to find them as much as you do," she said firmly, "But you cannot just investigate on your own. You can get into real trouble."

He drew himself up to his full height and gritted his teeth. "Then what was the reason for you summoning me here?" he growled, "Surely not to tell me all of this again?"

Miriam looked at the closed door, which had been warded with a silencing spell. Then she pulled out a folded piece of paper and held it out to Severus.

"A friend saw them in Berwick-upon-Tweed yesterday," she said quietly when Severus accepted the paper. He read it, then set it aflame, the ashes trickling onto the floor. "Aurors were planning to head there next week, so if you want to find Scorpius and the others before Skender hears of it, I suggest you go now."

Severus looked at her, slightly surprised.

Miriam turned and sat back down. "You never heard it from me."

For a moment, Severus remained silent. Then he bowed and vanished the remaining ashes.
With billowing robes, he strode out of the office. The address that had been on the paper was burned into his mind and he felt determined to be there before Cita, Scorpius, Aurora and Erly vanished again.

****

Cita was in a cage. Again. But this time, she was alone. An additional tent had been set up to separate her from the others. She could hear Rosaly trumpeting something, but couldn't discern what she was saying. At least Rosaly was safe. The elephant was in a cage with Leonor because her own was needed for another arrival.
Perhaps Skender hoped Leonor would eat Rosaly. But the crippled dragon had no intention of doing that. The elephant was safe with him.

The cheetah's head snapped up when someone entered the tent. She didn't even have to see the human's face to know who it was.

Skender approached her cage with slow, leisurely steps. His grey eyes were fixed on her and Cita's golden ones narrowed.

"So much raw power, wasted on a primitive creature," said Skender and sighed. "You should have kept your human form in your previous life."

Cita laid her ears back in confusion.

"But that cannot be changed." Skender tapped the tip of his cane against the bars. A metallic sound vibrated through the air and Cita growled from the uncomfortable noise.

"I have great plans for you, White Paw. Great plans." He smiled coldly.

Cita bared her teeth at him.
Show me your teeth and I'll show you mine, she thought challengingly.

"It would be a shame to let you fight in the arena and have you die. Then I would have to search for you all over again." Skender slowly surrounded the cage. Cita's eyes followed him unblinkingly.