Just a few seconds

They had been following the nifflers for three hours straight, but Severus refused to take a break. Alley after alley they had chased down, following the small creatures that sniffed loudly and stuck their noses into each nook and cranny. The further they had progressed, the darker and more narrow the alleys had become, proving to Severus that there was an endless maze around Carkitt Market.

"Slow- down-," panted Hugo, whose cane clacked on the stone as he tried to keep up. He was wheezing heavily and his beard fluttered in the air behind him.

"Take a break," said Severus dismissively, although he glanced at the old wizard to make sure he wasn't going to faint. "I'll summon you once the nifflers found something."

"Wha- No way!" said Hugo with a huff, "I'm not sitting here while Mioha and the others are still trapped."

"Mioha is dead," Severus reminded him, although not without feeling a pang in his heart. "Her name's Lux, or if you want to refer to her current mortal name, Cita."

Hugo grumbled something under his breath. "There's something I forgot to ask you," he said with another wheeze and hurried forward to walk beside Severus. "Is Cita going to be like Mioha? Or- is she someone else?"

Severus sighed. "Lux' character never changes, but until Cita has her full powers and memories, her character depends on how she was raised. She might not be the same at the moment- but she will be later."

****

Cita felt Rosaly shaking behind her. "Will he eat me?" the elephant whispered.

Despite the loud crowd, Cita's sensitive ears heard her. "No," the cheetah reassured her, her golden eyes fixed on Scar. "Not if I can help it."

The lion shook with laughter. "This is just too precious. Why would a cheetah be able to fight me? King of the Pride Lands?"

"You aren't king," said Cita sharply, "Kouvu is."

"For now." Scar inspected his claws, appearing bored. "I should have been king, not my uncle Mufassa. All muscle and no brain. But then my cousin Simba had to mess it all up."

Cita's eyes widened. That couldn't be. She'd thought it was just a coincidence that this lion bore the same name as the traitor who'd killed Mufassa. Everyone had heard of the tale. But- that meant-

"Ah, I see your mind is beginning to catch up," smiled Scar and continued circling Cita and Rosaly. "My father, Scar, was the rightful heir to the throne. I vowed to finish what he started. I took his name and began to sharpen my fighting skills."

Rosaly backed away, her large ears flapping nervously.

Meanwhile, Skender disabled the sonorus on his voice and called Bergus to him. "What happened?" he demanded icily.

"The- cage was destroyed," stammered the large man. "From the inside."

Skender's grey eyes darted to the white cheetah. And the wheels in his mind began to turn.

"You're insane," spat Cita at the lion, "You're stuck in a circus, Scar. You're nothing more than an attraction, a copy of your pathetic father."

Scar's eyes flashed and he lunged forward with a snarl. Cita ducked and used her right paw to swipe Rosaly out of the way. Scar landed behind them and the cheetah whirled around, raising her hackles.

"I will have my revenge!" he seethed and his green orbs glowed with insanity. "Once I am free, I will return to the Pride Lands and become the rightful king!"

Rosaly quivered at the lion's sharp teeth. With a squeal, she shot away, hurrying to the far end of the arena as fast as her little legs could carry her.