【 EIGHT 】

ᴛʜᴇ ʀᴇꜱᴛ ᴏꜰ ᴛʜᴇ ɴɪɢʜᴛ ᴡᴀꜱ ᴡᴀʏ ʟᴇꜱꜱ ᴇᴠᴇɴᴛꜰᴜʟ ᴛʜᴀɴ ᴛʜᴇ ᴀꜱꜱᴀꜱꜱɪɴ ᴄʜᴀꜱᴇ ɪᴛꜱᴇʟꜰ; in fact, it wasn't until the next morning that things began to increase in pace. Obi-Wan, Anakin and I were called down to the Council chambers to make a report on what had happened last night. Everyone from the Council was in attendance to hear our story, and listened thoughtfully with virtually no interruptions until we finished.

I watched as Master Yoda and Master Windu exchanged looks as Obi-Wan wrapped up his report. As soon as the man was done speaking, Master Yoda opened his mouth.

"Track down this bounty hunter, you must," he mused. "Master Naberrie, Master Kenobi, on this mission, I would like the two of you to go."

My mouth nearly dropped off of my face. "The two of us-" I spluttered. "But Master, what about Anakin? Shouldn't he stay with his master? He's still training, after all, and leaving him here while we go-"

"Anakin will not be staying here," Mace Windu cut over my incessant rant, staring at me meaningfully. "He will be tasked with the mission of escorting Senator Amidala back to her home planet of Naboo. I think--and I'm sure the Council would agree--that especially under these circumstances, the young padawan would benefit greatly from a solo mission."

I bowed respectfully. "I agree, of course, Master, but wouldn't you think it wise, in a situation as delicate as this one, that the Senator travels with someone who knows her better? Who has spent the last four years of her life dedicated to her service-"

"Silence, Naberrie," Master Windu snapped, his eyes hardening. "The Council has been deliberating on this for a while, even before the most recent assassination attempt on your sister's life. We all quite agree that you did a good job protecting your sister while you were back on Naboo, Anakin would be a better fit for this mission. Even if you travel as refugees, two women traveling together will draw too much attention."

"Besides," Master Yoda spoke up, "time it is, for Padawan Skywalker's first solo mission."

Without even looking, I could sense the pride and recognition flowing from Anakin. I could only imagine how straight he was standing now, how proud and honored he felt. And while I was completely against going on a mission with Obi-Wan--alone--I couldn't take that away from him.

I swallowed hard, and took a couple of steps backward. Apparently, I'd been moving forward in frustration without realizing it. "Yes, Master," I said softly. "I apologize."

"Understandable, it is, your desire for your sister to be safe," Yoda acknowledged. "But better, these arrangements are."

"Yes, Master," I repeated. I refused to look at Obi-Wan, though I could feel his eyes on me.

Master Windu finally turned back to Anakin. "We want you to keep the Senator safe at all costs, Anakin," he said. "Take her back to Naboo--she'll be safer there. And don't use registered transport. Travel as refugees."

I stepped forward again, a little more hesitant this time. "As leader of the opposition, it will be very difficult to get Senator Amidala to leave the capital," I pointed out.

Yoda sighed thoughtfully, sitting back in his chair. He rested his hands against his cane. "Until caught this killer is," he put forth wisely, "our judgement she must respect."

"Anakin, go to the Senate, and ask Chancellor Palpatine to speak with her on this matter," Master Windu instructed.

With all of our missions given out, I sensed the conversation and our audience with the Council was over. I bowed respectfully and led the way out the doors, Obi-Wan and Anakin just behind me. I could feel mixed emotions in the Council as we left--feelings of certainty and uncertainty, satisfaction and hesitance. And all of those feelings around a certain person... Anakin.