【 SEVEN 】

ᴀᴅᴍɪᴛᴛᴇᴅʟʏ, ꜰɪɴᴅɪɴɢ ᴀ ꜱɪɴɢʟᴇ ᴀꜱꜱᴀꜱꜱɪɴ ɪɴ ᴀ ᴄʀᴏᴡᴅᴇᴅ ʙᴀʀ ᴡᴀꜱ ᴀ ᴄʜᴀʟʟᴇɴɢɪɴɢ ᴛᴀꜱᴋ, ᴇᴠᴇɴ ꜰᴏʀ ᴊᴇᴅɪ. The building was so large and filled with people it would have taken forever to comb through the place, much less find a person with an appearance that none of us had gotten a good look at.

"Can you see him?" Obi-Wan asked Anakin patiently, obviously hoping his apprentice had some idea about what the assassin even looked like.

"I think he is a she," Anakin began, his eyes scanning the crowd seriously, "and I think she is a changeling."

I swallowed. That would make things a little more difficult. I ran possible scenarios through my mind, thinking hard. "In that case, be extra careful," I suggested. "Perhaps it would be best if we split up to look."

"Great idea," Obi-Wan enthused immediately, and I blinked.

"Really?"

"Sure," he nodded. "Anakin, you go out and look. Master Naberrie and I will check over here."

I rolled my eyes. "Kenobi, you do know that the principle of 'splitting up' consists of everyone going out on their own?"

"Stop talking, and come with me," Obi-Wan grumbled under his breath, and wrapped his hand around the crook of my arm, leading me off.

I immediately wrenched my arm out of his grip, jumping away from him. "What the hell do you think you're doing? Get your hands off of me--do you want to find this assassin or-"

"Would you stop talking!" Obi-Wan glared at me. "I have a plan."

I rolled my eyes. "Right. So you're going to pretend my plan is good so I'll go along with it, and change up the whole thing so none of it is even left-"

"That's not what I'm trying to do."

"Well, that's what it sure seems like," I snapped as Obi-Wan continued leading the two of us to the center of the club, near a large circular bar. "You know, I am a Jedi Knight. I am capable of making my own decisions."

"I don't doubt that," Obi-Wan replied dryly. "And I don't know if you can tell, but we are doing what you suggested. We did split up."

"You sent Anakin off so the two of us could come--what, have a drink at the bar?" I scoffed in incredulity as we approached the bartender, and Obi-Wan signaled at him for a couple of drinks.

Obi-Wan smirked mysteriously in my direction, stuffing his hands in his pockets casually. "You'll see."

I wanted to punch the man. "So now you don't even trust me. Kenobi, if we're going to work together to protect my sister, we're going to have to trust each other. I don't know how you and Anakin work, but where I come from, communication is key. My team tells each other the plan, so there are no distractions. No surprises."

Suddenly, a man standing next to me at the bar leaned in curiously. "Would you like to buy some death sticks?"

Distracted, I waved my hand toward him. "You don't want to sell me death sticks."

My Jedi mind trick had the desired effect. Unfortunately, with my distraction, it was a little too strong. The man's eyes glazed over heavily, and he shook his head. "I don't want to... to sell you..." he passed out cold.

I instantly felt a quick rush of exhilaration, followed by a pang of immediate regret.

Obi-Wan's eyes widened in shock as I covered my mouth as the impact of what I'd done hit me. "Em! What did you-"