Chapter 4: The Coffee Date

Later... 

I walked through the halls, carrying a stack of files to my office when, suddenly, I bumped into someone, the files spilling to the floor. 

'Oh, my God! I am so sorry,' I said, leaning down to pick up the files. 

'Here, let me help you,' the male voice that I had apparently bumped into replied, kneeling down next to me. He picked up a file, and passed it to me, his thumb brushing the back of my hand, and our eyes met. For a moment my heart felt like it stopped in my chest, and time suddenly froze as I eyed the man, subtly "checking him out". His dark hair was gelled back, and he had the most gorgeous dark brown eyes, with a clean shaven face and a handsome smile. We finished packing up the files and I stood again. 

'My deepest apologies, Mr...' 

'Chase. Adrian Chase.'

'Oh, I'm so sorry. You -' I adjusted the files to shake his hand. 'You must be the new DA that Oliver told me about. I'm really sorry for bumping into you; I sometimes forget to watch where I'm going.' 

'No, it's okay. I didn't quite catch your name.' 

'Ah, where are my manners? Sorry, it's Evelyn Queen. I'm Oliver's younger sister. Middle child.' The corner of his mouth upturned into a little smile.

'A name as gorgeous as its owner. It's nice to meet you, Evelyn.' I blushed, tucking a piece of hair behind my ear, my heart pounding in my chest. 

'Would you like to follow me to my office? My assistant makes killer coffee and I want to formally apologise for bumping into you.' He gave a chuckle. 

'Of course.' 

I slipped into the office. 

'Maya!' I called out. A short, pretty chocolate-haired girl with a blue streak in her hair came running around the corner in her tiny heels and a little pencil skirt and sky blue blouse. 

'What can I do for you, Miss Evelyn?' 

'Please, remember, Evelyn is fine. Two coffees, please. My usual and a black coffee as well.' 

'Absolutely. Right on it.' She began to go out, but before she could, I stopped her. 

'Maya, did you say you had something on this evening?' She turned, scratching the back of her neck. 

'Um... only my anniversary with my boyfriend. But I already told him I'd be working late.' 

'Well, after you make the coffees, you can head home early. I can take care of the paperwork.'

'Are you sure? I can stay later if you -' 

'No, no. Please, enjoy your evening. I care about you, Maya. Go have fun.' 

'Thank you, Miss - sorry, Evelyn.' I smiled warmly as the girl ran out of the room to retrieve the coffees. I sorted some files on my desk, as the man named Adrian Chase stood opposite me, watching me work. 

'What's the files for?' he asked. I looked up at him, and the man in question had a look of genuine interest on his face. 

'Oh, the Queen Family Foundation. Just charity work, really. Also working closely with the Anti-Crime Unit to ensure that domestic violence, rape and abuse is significantly lowered in the Glades. And sexual abuse shelters and planned pregnancy shelters/clinics, as well. It's a lot of work, but it's rewarding.' 

'And you run it?' 

'Yup,' I replied, popping the 'p'. 'Been the founder and president since Oliver was in office.' 

'Has anyone ever asked you why you do it?' I looked up at him. 

'No. Not really, actually. Did you want to know?' He nodded. 

'I'm actually genuinely interested.' 

'A couple years ago, I was in a really bad situation. Someone kidnapped me and abused me for a long time. When I got back, I wished I had the kind of help that these centers in the Glades are giving to women who have gone through what I have gone through. I didn't have that kind of help, but I want those women and girls to feel like someone cares, and to facilitate that kind of healing for them, to make it possible for them to get back out into the world and reach their full potential - that's why I do it. Oliver full on supported the idea, and it helped him get more voters because of it. It helped win him the campaign and the mayoral office, and it helps me because he draws more attention to it through speeches and stuff. So more people get helped.'

'You're insanely talented,' he remarked after a moment of silence. 

'Please. Being one of the 'silver spoon kids' doesn't make me anything special. I just decided I wanted to do a bit of good. Using my position within the administration is just doing my part to make this corner of the world a better place.' Just then Maya walked in with the coffee. 'Thanks, Maya.' She grabbed her purse after handing the coffees to us, as well as her jacket. 

'Are you still sure that you can handle all this paperwork without me?' 

'I excelled in my school subjects when I was younger, Maya. I'll be more than okay. Go! Have fun. Thank you so much for today.' She smiled and slipped out the door, waving to me. I waved back, then looked over to see Adrian looking at me. 'What?' 

'There's more than meets the eye to you, isn't there?' he asked. I let out a chuckle. 'Allow me to take you out for lunch sometime, get to know you better.' 

'I - I don't really date. I've never done it, actually.' 

'Please?' he asked, and for a moment, his eyes went soft, and I couldn't resist. 

'Okay.' I pulled off a sticky note, scrawled down my number and passed it to him. 'There's my number. Text me when you've got a free spot tomorrow and I'll see if I can squeeze it in.' He smiled, taking it and walking away with the cup of coffee. 

'I'll see you tomorrow, Evelyn. It was nice to meet you.' He slipped out the door, and I let out a breath I didn't know I'd even been holding. It wasn't like it was tense, it was just - talking to a guy so effortlessly after so many years of basically hiding from them felt like it was too good to be true. I walked over to my desk chair and slumped on it, leaning back and let out a long, loud breath.