Twenty Eight

The breeze was nice. Watching the sunset in the sky was nice. It was what Elizabeth needed after a long, tiring day.

Anne was the opposite of what she expected. Maybe that was a good or bad thing. But it wasn't like the story she had heard. Anne turns against Clementine, spreading rumors about her. The person she just met didn't seem like that type of person, she seemed like a happy, supportive person. But then again, she thought Amy was different when she met her, and look how that turned out in the end.

It bothered her because Beth couldn't help but feel like something was missing in this whole thing. Anne didn't seem like that, and Beth tried to trust her mind, she knew from experience some people seem nice but aren't. But her gut feeling told her it wasn't like that.

Upon arriving on her street, Beth felt relief. She wanted to sleep. She hoped maybe her sister would be home at this time, maybe they could talk. Beth just wanted to see someone, really, so she didn't feel so crazy. At the same time, she was enjoying her time outside, the breeze on her face, the sound of the wind in the trees, and the ground below her.

Beth got to her driveway before she noticed one person she was both hoping and not hoping to run into. Clementine looked as though she was trying not to be seen. Hoodie over her head and her eyes down to the floor. She walked quickly.

Beth wanted to solve this, and she felt angry. She wanted to know what was going on and she was being completely ignored. In a move that was poorly planned, she called Clementine's name and ran after her. To her surprise not surprise, she was ignored, and Clementine walked faster, trying to get away from Elizabeth. Beth was determined to have this conversation though.

"Hey!" Beth called, her annoyance increasing, "Hey! God stop! Can't we talk for a moment?" She started to run faster to catch up to Clementine. It wasn't very pleasant because Beth was both exhausted and very very short of patience.

To her surprise, Clementine stopped abruptly, and Beth almost ran into her back. She could hear Clementine sighing, "What's up with you?" Beth asked, with more annoyance in her tone than she intended to have.

Clementine turned to face her, and up close, Beth could see how tired and stressed she looked. Her hair wasn't being taken care of, her eyes looked red, and her skin wasn't being washed. Beth could feel a pull at her stomach, she wanted to take care of Clementine. But Clementine herself furrowed her eyebrows, "What's up with me?" She said, "What is up is that you won't leave me the hell alone! I told you yesterday!" Clementine tried to turn and leave again.

Beth stopped her, she didn't know exactly why, "Why are you acting like this?" Beth asked her in a gentler tone. Clementine pulled her arm away from Beth.

"Nothing!" Clementine snapped, "God don't you ever take a hint? Just leave me the hell alone already!" She took a good few steps away from Beth, and almost like she couldn't stop herself, "How dumb are you? How many times do I have to tell you I don't want you around before you get it? How are you even the top student anyway? Just- Just leave me alone..." She trailed off.

Beth didn't respond. Clementine walked away. Beth stood there watching.

She stood there for a long time, watching Clementine's figure fade out into the distance. Maybe Beth's face had paled. Maybe those words uncovered a lot of unpleasant memories. Beth didn't want to admit that. He didn't want to admit how much it bothered her. How much those words dug at healing scabs that had been opened not so long ago. It was like it tore something else open. That hurt feeling in her chest refused to leave. But the tears never came.

Beth never cried. She never did. She wouldn't allow herself to. She wasn't weak. If Clementine wanted to be a bitch so be it. Beth, instead of letting hurt fester, feeling pathetically sorry for herself, anger bubbled to the surface.