Three

December 25, 2010

Age: 14

I take one last look in my bathroom mirror.

Nice.

Today we are going over to Lynn's house for Christmas day. But this is not like other Christmas' where we just give and receive presents from one another and bond with each other. I might just be doing a bit more. I was helping the Davis family decorate for the holiday and I found a mistletoe hiding in one of the boxes so I decided to hang that up in her treehouse.

You've probably would've guessed by now. Yeah that's right. It is I, Lucas Hemmings, making his move on his best friend. I feel like she is the right one for me to share my first kiss with. I like her. A lot. But I don't want to ruin our friendship. Plus, she probably doesn't even feel the same way.

I shake my head to push away the thought. I sigh,"Let's do this."

"Come on Lucas! We're gonna leave you if you don't hurry up!" called Jack.

"Coming!" I responded. I grabbed Jocelynn's present and my guitar and headed downstairs where the rest of my family were waiting.

"You're bringing your guitar?" asked Ben as we all put on our seatbelt.

"I always bring my guitar when I go to her house," I replied. He nods slowly and turns away to look outside the window.

As I tune my guitar, my mind starts to drift off to today's plan.

What if she rejects my kiss?

What if I didn't practice good enough that I didn't kiss her right?!

What if the kiss was so awkward that we won't even dare to look or talk to each other...?

Oh god, is this even a good plan??

We pull up in front of their driveway with the Davis's waiting outside with big smiles. Uncle Matthew is smoking on the porch, as usual, Auntie Caitlyn standing in the doorway, and a happy Jocelynn running towards us. I grab and present and my guitar and hop out of the car first and run towards her with open arms.

"Merry Christmas Lu!" she says as she throws her arms around my neck.

"Merry Christmas Lynn!" I chuckle wrapping my arms around her waist. After we all greet each other, Lynn takes my hand and drags me inside.

"Come on! Let's go open our presents in the treehouse," she said taking me to the backyard. Instead of climbing the ladder, I climb up from inside the slide pushing her present up as I go. I hear Lynn giggle from the other end. "Why did you get me such a big present? I would be fine with just a pair of fluffy socks!"

"You deserve something better than a pair of fluffy socks." Once I finally reach the top, I push the present towards her and collapse on the floor. "Why did we make the slide so long and steep?" Lynn rolls her eyes and pulls me off the floor. We take a seat on the couch and I hand her my present first.